Why are pump vaults so expensive?

Reaction score
Looking at pondless water feature, using aquablocks, and its obvious to install a pump vault to give easy access to the pump and keep it free from rocks/debris. But it really isnt a complex bit of kit, its just a barrell with some holes/slots in it. Why on earth does it therefore cost so much money? I'm looking at the various dedicated pump vaults from the likes of Oase and Aquascape, and they're like $500! Surely you can just get any old sturdy plastic barrell and cut some slots in. Something like this for example which is a more logical $50 for a simple bit of plastic moulding:
31SyCIo8rmL._AC_.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good question, but I don’t know anything about this topic — other members do, so maybe they will chime in. There are so many pond DIY possibilities out there, so maybe as long as you can easily plumb it and still have good access to the pump……. The images I looked at had “vaults” that were wider rather than narrow (maybe for good, unobstructed flow around the pump?).

Reaction score
I've realised its the same thing with the aqua blocks, you can get identical structures for a fraction of the price if you look for other rain water management products like soakaways or rainwater harvesting supplies. From looking at forums it seems to be 'known' that dedicated pond products have a premium and they refer to it as "koi tax" 😁

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah that is the way it goes. I had not heard the term koi tax but it is appropriate. Partly a function of manufacturing volume also I would imagine if it is not the exact same product. Youtube has many videos of DIY folks modifying trash and storage bins as well as barrels to use as vaults and filters I used an old water softener barrel for one of my filters.

Ask a Question