Sequence 750 pump and basket strainer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am leaning to getting the Sequence 750 pump (the 3600GPH version) for my pond. I have a few specific questions.

(1) I found a spec sheet for the pump here:

It says the length of the pump is 10.46". That seems pretty small, can someone confirm this?

(2) My pipes are 1.5" in diameter, this pump has 2" inlet/outlet, so I will need to reduce to 1.5" at the ports, I assume there isn't a 1.5" version of this pump, is there?

(3) The priming pot for this pump, is 1000.771-7 (I think) with 2" ports. Does this connect directly with the 750 pump? Anyone know when the pump and priming pot are connected together, what is the overall length? I need to make sure the concrete pad I am preparing for this will fit the two pieces.

(4) If I ever change pump, will the Sequence priming pot work with another brand's pump? Are the connection between pump to priming pot universal or proprietary sized?

(5) On this web site I was reading the pump's information, under the heading IMPORTANT, it stated that "The Sequence 750 3600SEQ12 Waterfall Pump is not a suction pump – a priming pot is required (sold separately)" what does it mean? I thought the priming pot is optional, I will get the priming pot, but I need to understand why it is required.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It says the length of the pump is 10.46". That seems pretty small, can someone confirm this?
IT SAYS IT HAS A 1 1/2 INCH OUTLET look at the pic is there enough room to duplicate that to 10 8 inches i think so but i would put a basket strainer before the pump some where

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2) My pipes are 1.5" in diameter, this pump has 2" inlet/outlet, so I will need to reduce to 1.5" at the ports, I assume there isn't a 1.5" version of this pump, is there?
unless im missing something it hasa 2 inch inlet and1 1/2 out
(3) The priming pot for this pump, is 1000.771-7 (I think) with 2" ports. Does this connect directly with the 750 pump? Anyone know when the pump and priming pot are connected together, what is the overall length? I need to make sure the concrete pad I am preparing for this will fit the two pieces.
buy it before you build or reach out to the company
On this web site I was reading the pump's information, under the heading IMPORTANT, it stated that "The Sequence 750 3600SEQ12 Waterfall Pump is not a suction pump – a priming pot is required (sold separately)" what does it mean? I thought the priming pot is optional, I will get the priming pot, but I need to understand why it is required.
It means it's the average external pump it has to be close to the water level or it will need a priming pot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like the specs for the strainer/priming pot has it about 12 inches wide (although the spec sheet was for the Purflo basket, not sure if exactly the same). But that makes sense to make the overall pump about 24 inches. The PerformancePro external I bought this Spring is almost 24 inches, it has a built in priming pot and strainer. Every pump should have a strainer of some sort even if you use a skimmer before the pump. I would go with the assumption that the pump will end up being 24 inches wide, that way if you do replace the pump in the future most likely a new pump will be about that size. As to whether you can use the priming pot/strainer with another pump, it might but many externals already come with that included.
You will see pumps that are "self priming" or not. Priming has to do with the initial suction of the water into the pump once you start it up (whether for for first time or after power outage). Pumps never should run dry, so you need some water to start the suction process from the pond.
Check valves are a whole other story but you may need to look into using one if your pump will be above the water level.

Reaction score
Country
United States
as far as check valves I already have one upstream in the suction line near where the pipe emerges from the pond.

I don't have experience working with pond pumps, that's why all these questions. My pool pump is self priming and even when water drains from the pump housing will pull water in without any issue. So with the priming pot I will open the lid to fill up with water close the lid then turn the pump on right? So I hope the check valve does it's job because the pump is higher than the pond without the check valve the water will drain into the pond as I fill the priming pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as far as check valves I already have one upstream in the suction line near where the pipe emerges from the pond.

I don't have experience working with pond pumps, that's why all these questions. My pool pump is self priming and even when water drains from the pump housing will pull water in without any issue. So with the priming pot I will open the lid to fill up with water close the lid then turn the pump on right? So I hope the check valve does it's job because the pump is higher than the pond without the check valve the water will drain into the pond as I fill the priming pot.
A properly setup priming pump or a priming pot ,1 won't need you to open it if the power goes out and need you to fill it up

Look at it this way if your pump is at the same water level or just barely higher { my recomendation } the pipe will only have a little air in it and the pump with a simple strainer and a gallon or two of water in it will have enough water to reprise its self .

If you lift the pump a foot or two above the water line. You'll have far more air in the line when you stay to re - prime and it will fail every time. The priming pot is a mini artificial pond level. So when the pump fires back up it has enough water to reprise its self. The top of the prime should be even with the top of the pumps opening 1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I am the same as you, I have not even hooked up my pump yet. I just have read a lot about them and looked at posts on here. Unfortunately there are not a ton of videos out there about installing external pumps (PondDigger has one from several years ago), especially compared to the number of videos for installing a submersible. In the end you will be fine, they do have instructions, and an external should last for a pretty long time compared to a submersible so you should not have to go through this too often.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A properly setup priming pump or a priming pot ,1 won't need you to open it if the power goes out and need you to fill it up

Look at it this way if your pump is at the same water level or just barely higher { my recomendation } the pipe will only have a little air in it and the pump with a simple strainer and a gallon or two of water in it will have enough water to reprise its self .

If you lift the pump a foot or two above the water line. You'll have far more air in the line when you stay to re - prime and it will fail every time. The priming pot is a mini artificial pond level. So when the pump fires back up it has enough water to reprise its self. The top of the prime should be even with the top of the pumps opening 1

I am not sure how high my pump is compared to the water level in the pond. I think it may be more than a foot. I think the pond water is like 8-12 inches below grade, and the pump will be sitting on a concrete pad that's 8" or more above grade. I am in an area that can flood so I do not want the pond to be submerged. Last April we had a historic flood, 26 inches of rain fell within 6 hours. The water was 22" above grade, all my exterior receptacles mounted at 16-18" high were submerged. I turned the breakers off and had to replace them all after remounting them 24" high.

I hope I don't need to reprime the pot every time the pump stops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am the same as you, I have not even hooked up my pump yet. I just have read a lot about them and looked at posts on here. Unfortunately there are not a ton of videos out there about installing external pumps (PondDigger has one from several years ago), especially compared to the number of videos for installing a submersible. In the end you will be fine, they do have instructions, and an external should last for a pretty long time compared to a submersible so you should not have to go through this too often.

I am getting to order the pump and keeping my fingers crossed. I also looked at submersibles and just don't quite like those, especially since I already have the pipes done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not sure how high my pump is compared to the water level in the pond. I think it may be more than a foot. I think the pond water is like 8-12 inches below grade, and the pump will be sitting on a concrete pad that's 8" or more above grade. I am in an area that can flood so I do not want the pond to be submerged. Last April we had a historic flood, 26 inches of rain fell within 6 hours. The water was 22" above grade, all my exterior receptacles mounted at 16-18" high were submerged. I turned the breakers off and had to replace them all after remounting them 24" high.

I hope I don't need to reprime the pot every time the pump stops. Thats the idea behind the priming pot so you don't have to but you will neeed check valves as well , go to you tube and search for priming pots on swimming pools'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I hope I don't need to reprime the pot every time the pump stops.
That is a crazy amount of rain. Just curious how you plan on protecting the pump from possible floods? I know you mentioned the concrete pad, but how are you covering it? I think it was Modern Aquascaping that had a video of building a pump vault, but that was digging below grade which sounds like you are trying to avoid.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Matters little where the vault is above or below 26 inches of rain will easily create floods well above any rational expectations. Like he said the house was underwater with the receptacles at 18 inches so the vault it's self would also need a 20 rise from grade on a high spot of the grade. No one would build a waterproof enclosure the pump would burn out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Matters little where the vault is above or below 26 inches of rain will easily create floods well above any rational expectations. Like he said the house was underwater with the receptacles at 18 inches so the vault it's self would also need a 20 rise from grade on a high spot of the grade. No one would build a waterproof enclosure the pump would burn out
I understand. Was just curious about the cover. I know a lot of people with externals put them in sheds or garages. I dont have that option so just curious how some people hide them. There is not a lot of pictures or videos out there of people hiding externals or covering them. I did get a basic cover for my pump but was looking for more creative ideas in the future.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just leave the pump exposed.

I was told the rain event was a 1000 year occurrence. I hope this is the case, took me a long time to fix everything. I was lucky my living space was 32" above grade so nothing got into the house except the garage got flooded. I hope this is not a new normal. All my exterior receptacles were replaced and mounted higher. My garage had a dozen 5 gallon buckets with concrete, stucco, paint, Portland cement, all these stuff and water level was higher than these buckets and ruined everything. I had 16 bags of concrete for a project, concrete got flooded turned into 16 concrete pillows.

I am not going to be able to an elevation too high, I can't plan for that, that water was so high my fish pond, the street, the pool, the spa was one single water body for a good 10 hours. My neighbor said he had an "Infinity Pool".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now what are the advantages of having a pump and a detached priming pot? Or is it better to have a pump with a built in priming pot?

I supposed having it separate you can swap out broken parts easier? On the other hand you have to connect the pot to the pump and that's two more joints that may leak.

I was about to order the Sequence pump and priming pot and called the vendor to ask some questions about dimensions and what fittings to mate the priming pot to the pump, and he said consider the Performance Pro Artesian2 pump he highly recommends it.

So now I am back to "undecided" LOL.

Ask a Question