Why is an orange....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Random thoughts..... Dave54's "banana plant" thread gave me the idea to post this.

I was eating an orange last night [a big, juicy navel orange -- yum!] when it occurred to me that, THE ORANGE IS ORANGE!!

Bananas are yellow. Apples are red [or yellow, or green]. Lemons are yellow. Limes are green. You get the idea.

But oranges are orange....

image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
they had no clue what to call the fruit and figure it is orange so orange is a good name :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:lime is lime color or is it green .
And "lemon" is a color, too. But the color "lime green" is more of a description of the shade [hue, whatever] of green, I think.

Geesh, this makes me want to find & open one of those 64-color boxes of crayons! :ROFLMAO:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we all need our crayons and coloring books now :ROFLMAO:crayon in mine says lime

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
All of the oranges I've ever eaten where purple on the outside and rainbow hued on the inside. Orange was just a name picked out of a hat. :cigar:

You can easily ascertain how passion fruit got its name........"It was a hot, humid evening. Her silhouette in the moonlight ignited linking feelings of..............." :cool:

Last edited:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Random thoughts..... Dave54's "banana plant" thread gave me the idea to post this.

I was eating an orange last night [a big, juicy navel orange -- yum!] when it occurred to me that, THE ORANGE IS ORANGE!!

Bananas are yellow. Apples are red [or yellow, or green]. Lemons are yellow. Limes are green. You get the idea.

But oranges are orange....

View attachment 68444
What was named first the color or the fruit?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
you know Turtle mommy, in Thai, Orange is also orange too and I notice that it's only fruite with the color name also like you mentioned... hm.. wondering why's that even in different language.. and if it's the same in other languages too??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you know that carrots used to be a sort of purpley black the colour they now are was bred into them , interestingly there are also white and yellow carrots too.

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Ok, lets see if I can make a fool of myself lol.
for example:
In Spanish if you use the word orange as a noun its spelled " Naranja" or "Naranjo" (and I think "naranjada" lol, its been a long time)
But if used as an adjective its
" anaranjado" or "naranjado"

Ask a Question