Why rocks and gravel for a natural pond

Do you have rocks and gravel now in your pond?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When you stir up the stuff trapped under the rocks .I saw one pond here that the poor people put rocks in there pond and they decided to clean there rocks and tested the water after the fish all died by the next day and the all the levels were high .They thought they could just get in the pond and brush the rocks off and filter would pick up all the stuff .They lowered the water level and started cleaning .I meant them at the koi farm when I was there getting pond plants .They were looking to replace there fish .Sad because they read that they could do that without removing the fish and even said they saw it on you tube .Not sure about that part ,I think they just made a big boo boo

As PondFather stated, he takes his fish out when he cleans it. So there is no risk to fish health. When I had a lot of rocks, I took my fish out also. And to me, no it's not a lot of work. It's one sunny afternoon. I enjoy getting in the pond. I have to get in there anyway to take care of the lilies. My egg rocks look the same now as they did back when I put them in. But, since my pond is between my 6' privacy fence and a covered patio, maybe that's why mine don't get dirty, I don't know. I don't have have to look at a pond someone did for someone with no rocks in it, I've seen plenty and for me, I like rocks. Like I said, it's a personal preference. And my Koi made it all them years of rocks in the pond just fine. Gracie is 8 and Dr. Phil is 7.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love my rock and gravel pond! I think one thing that's key is keeping the gravel shallow on the bottom. When people talk about all the gunk that builds up under their gravel I'm really perplexed. The bottom of our pond is as clean as the day we first filled it up. So why do some people get a gunky bottom and others don't?

As for gravel making cleaning more difficult - our pond is five years old and we have never "cleaned" it. We scoop debris that falls in and keep the plants trimmed, but that's it. We've never even done a water change, unless you count topping off when the level drops. And yet our pond is crystal clear. Our rocks do have carpet algae, which some people don't like, but we love the natural look and leave it alone.

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I love my rock and gravel pond! I think one thing that's key is keeping the gravel shallow on the bottom. When people talk about all the gunk that builds up under their gravel I'm really perplexed. The bottom of our pond is as clean as the day we first filled it up. So why do some people get a gunky bottom and others don't?

As for gravel making cleaning more difficult - our pond is five years old and we have never "cleaned" it. We scoop debris that falls in and keep the plants trimmed, but that's it. We've never even done a water change, unless you count topping off when the level drops. And yet our pond is crystal clear. Our rocks do have carpet algae, which some people don't like, but we love the natural look and leave it alone.

Congrats on your great success. Sure sounds like the kind of pond I most appreciate. Balanced and uses Mother Nature to keep it clean. Others who do experience more dirt buildup may have a lot more fish, feed more and maybe they're under some trees. I'm a little surprised your pond works so well without a skimmer but clearly your bog filter is doing its job. Hope spring comes soon for you now.

The PondFather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I don't have a skimmer either.
I understand but hope someday that you might consider one. I didn't have one either from 1982 till 1992. Since then its my favorite place to hide a pump and protect the pump and some of the larger pond life that don't get caught in the pump since it's now out of the pond. Also by locating the pump outside the pond it's easier to service and skimming does catch debris that would otherwise sink to the bottom where it's harder to remove

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond is so encased between the fence and covered patio plus it has an arbor over it, not too much gets in it. We don't have any trees around us.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a little surprised your pond works so well without a skimmer but clearly your bog filter is doing its job. Hope spring comes soon for you now.

We have no mechanical skimmer - our pond flows over a negative edge into the RainXchange. The pump is housed in a vault in the pit, so it's underwater AND external, in essence. We have skimmer action without a true skimmer installed. Scooping leaves and debris from the rock that covers the RainXchange is simple and if we don't get around to scooping, it's no big deal. It's more esthetic than anything. A skimmer requires more diligent attention - sometimes I get distracted!

The PondFather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
We have no mechanical skimmer - our pond flows over a negative edge into the RainXchange. The pump is housed in a vault in the pit, so it's underwater AND external, in essence. We have skimmer action without a true skimmer installed. Scooping leaves and debris from the rock that covers the RainXchange is simple and if we don't get around to scooping, it's no big deal. It's more esthetic than anything. A skimmer requires more diligent attention - sometimes I get distracted!
Ohhhhh. RainXchanges are the best. Don't own one yet but planning one for my next pond. It's definitely a skimmer but larger than box skimmers, so it should need less cleaning as you've noted. I love the idea of connecting downspouts to a RainXchange.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A natural bottom pond works well if it has a lot of flow, end to end. As stated, it still requires a major cleaning periodically. Having a negative horizon to the sump eliminates the need for a skimmer. Most skimmers are useless and only act as a trap for smaller fish. The negative horizon along with a good flow sweeps all the floating and underwater solids to a place where cleaning should be much easier. That said, plants would not have to be disturbed as much at the upper end during these cleanings. For every pond owner, there is a method that works, no two ponds are alike.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm always learning things here...had no idea what a negative edge was before this thread. I appreciate the education!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
LOVE the photo! For me, I'm all about the ultra-modern look, so no rocks/gravel. I do think the lack of rocks keeps cleaning and water maintenance easier, but I'm certainly no expert in any of this. I just watch fish behavior, test water regularly, do partial water changes as needed, and maintain my filters... and hope for the best!

Ask a Question