Wildlife at pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I planted vegetable garden last year with broccli and cabbage and all those good yummy leafy stuff but it got no where as the catapillars seemed to love them too and ate them to the ground. I really dont mind it, it would be nice if I could get some for myself. This year I did the same. Thinking I'd plant early and beat the butterfly :)

I welcome suggestions as to how to relocate the catapillars. I thought about taking them in and give them cabbage I bought but then that would defeat the purpose of growing myself and also I planted flowers for butterfly so I dont want to discourage them breeding.... hfff..... I even got milkweed for the monarch butterfly, I may as well plant the veggies for the butterfly :)

its a catch 22 situation for me but I decided that I'll let them eat the veggies coz I like butterfly more :)

I also need some ideas for balancing as I think i'm losing this completely ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I planted vegetable garden last year with broccli and cabbage and all those good yummy leafy stuff but it got no where as the catapillars seemed to love them too and ate them to the ground. I really dont mind it, it would be nice if I could get some for myself. This year I did the same. Thinking I'd plant early and beat the butterfly :)

I welcome suggestions as to how to relocate the catapillars. I thought about taking them in and give them cabbage I bought but then that would defeat the purpose of growing myself and also I planted flowers for butterfly so I dont want to discourage them breeding.... hfff..... I even got milkweed for the monarch butterfly, I may as well plant the veggies for the butterfly :)

its a catch 22 situation for me but I decided that I'll let them eat the veggies coz I like butterfly more :)

I also need some ideas for balancing as I think i'm losing this completely ;)

Nepen,
Could you maybe put up some bird feeders that would attract birds, who would then also eat some of the caterpillars?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have bird feeder already. I also have fig tree, so I have plenty of birds, they just not eat the catapillar fast enough ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of the reasons I chose a wide weave net, no little birds, dragon flies, frogs, snakes etc get caught or harmed. The net does not keep out raccoons or anything else walking around. It does discourage the heron that just loves to visit and inhale the fish. It is over the top of the pond, 3-4 feet up, with a slight drop towards the ground. Since we hung it up the heron quit coming every single day and snatching fish.

I feed everything that comes to visit, we have around 50 or more bird houses, they help take care of bugs. They love to bath in the pond, bog and can easily fly through the net, a lot use it as their resting ground.

Agree we need to make sure we do no harm to the critters that come to visit our ponds.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a bat house that I never got around to putting up, primarily b/c the only part of my house facing south is the front and I don't think the association would like it on the front. I find bats quite interesting and thought they would help with the bugs at night and would just be cool to see them flying around at night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We see them here, right a dusk they start.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see a few bats around here but only in the Summer right before dark also. One hung out on my neighbors front deck wall for awhile. He was off and on there for a few days and then no more. Cute little bugger.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's funny you guys are discussing bats. Moments ago (9:00pm pacific time) I was out watching our fish in the pond light, and the bats were dive-bombing the surface for bugs. It's thrilling to have them so close you can almost feel them fly by. My wife, unfortunately, is petrified of them. She actually had one fly into her long hair as a child! That bat had faulty sonar...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sorry for this rant but I have read a few post about birds, mammals etc at ponds that could harm your fish. Then things are done that harm or could harm them.

I personally do not agree with this at all, I am not trying to offend anyone but this is my view.

My view is I built a natural pond and put in a natural food source for many type of animals, I did build mine to offer hiding places for the fish and steeper sides vs shelves, but there is always a risk. I know our fish are important but so are the animals that are naturally around the area. I welcome all wildlife to our pond. I am willing to accept whatever may happen to the fish or pond for that matter.

You will never keep out everything, snakes eat fish, frogs eat fish, birds eat fish, mammals eat fish and some may even tunnel and eat the liner.

I think it is wrong to build something man made and then harm another animal because they are now using what you built. I think we all need to think long and hard about what we build and how we build it. Also think about the types of wildlife you have in the area and if are you willing to have them now in your yard?

If not then a outdoor pond is not the best idea for you. If you truly want one and hate the idea of other animals then I think you need to spend the money on a design that is safe for your fish and the surrounding animals or only have indoor tanks.

I do a lot wildlife photography and have seen and heard about some severe injuries to animals. So I may a little closer to wildlife then some but I personally would feel it would be wrong to harm an animal due to something I built.

I guess I will be the first here to take a contradictory view. First off, these ponds we build are NOT natural. Not by a long shot. We take great care to keep the water nice and clear for our viewing pleasure and we stock them full of bright and colorful fish. This combination gives predators easy targets.

My view is that it when it comes down to it, it is either the predators or it is my fish. I don't feel bad making sure the wild predators die instead of my fish. The predator could eat one of my fish and leave, or it could come back night after night and eat all of my fish. Regardless, living creatures die. If I instead kill the predator, I've made sure that only one animal dies, rather than possibly every animal in my pond.

Do we not have the responsibility to protect the animals that WE unnaturally stocked in our ponds? I say that we do, even if that means ending the life of another animal. This being said, I'd much rather find a way to deter animals rather than killing them... But if that doesn't work, I'll kill an animal to save my animals any day.

Reaction score
I guess I will be the first here to take a contradictory view. First off, these ponds we build are NOT natural. Not by a long shot. We take great care to keep the water nice and clear for our viewing pleasure and we stock them full of bright and colorful fish. This combination gives predators easy targets.

My view is that it when it comes down to it, it is either the predators or it is my fish. I don't feel bad making sure the wild predators die instead of my fish. The predator could eat one of my fish and leave, or it could come back night after night and eat all of my fish. Regardless, living creatures die. If I instead kill the predator, I've made sure that only one animal dies, rather than possibly every animal in my pond.

Do we not have the responsibility to protect the animals that WE unnaturally stocked in our ponds? I say that we do, even if that means ending the life of another animal. This being said, I'd much rather find a way to deter animals rather than killing them... But if that doesn't work, I'll kill an animal to save my animals any day.

In my opinion your not wrong, so long as killing the other animals is the absolute bottom resort and only after they have harmed your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Max384, you are not the only one with this view. I feel killing the animals is the easy way out. When people resort to this they really did not exhaust the deter option at all. What about when you kill the animal who just took one of your fish to go back to feed its young, now they will most likely die by starving to death. Forget the pond thing for a minute, we have coyotes in the area and we have our cat who goes outside, if the cat gets eaten by the coyote then the coyote is not wrong. I as the owner of the cat is wrong and the coyote did nothing to deserve to die. My dog runs into the road and gets hit by a car should I kill the driver? ( I no this is extreme but making a point) As you say you will do anything to save your animals. In this case also the car owner did nothing wrong, I did not protect my animals and allowed them in this bad situation. We could really get into a big debate about killing things and that really was not my point for this thread.

My point was if we build something for our enjoyment then other animals should not have to die because of that, I personally could not even enjoy sitting by my pond anymore knowing I killed animals because of my man made pond. There are many ways to protect your fish before a gun or whatever means. However people will not educate themselves on how to do it and build the pond accordingly. Someone mention a net but a certain type of net that will not harm the animal, this is what my whole post is about, educate yourself so what ever you do will have the least amount of impact on animals for something we do on my property.

There are many pond owners this year that lost fish during this harsh winter (some lost all), most are just like well I will just add more fish but a heron comes and takes then it must die, why? Just get more fish.

I personally built my pond as a source of enjoyment and for all wildlife to come to it and if I had to kill things to achieve this then that enjoyment would no longer exist.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Do we not have the responsibility to protect the animals that WE unnaturally stocked in our ponds?.....

Ah, but who is going to protect our fish from US? :)
We bought the fish solely for our entertainment.
Predators are eating them for sustenance.

Which is the greater need? :)

I built our pond for all animals to enjoy. I'll build the pond to provide safety for the fish, but not at the expense of other creatures.

Last year we had a moose cow and her calf standing in the pond and hanging around our front yard, helping themselves to plants and trees we had planted.
There was a cougar on the other side of our property (caught on a trailcam) and I I think the moose and calf were hanging around so close to our yard for protection.
I could have gone out and prevented the moose from drinking water from the pond. They then would have had to go to the pond where the cougar was. The calf could have possibly been taken by the cougar. Would my precious pond have been worth that?
I don't think so.
I'm very thankful for all the extra diversity our pond brings, both good and bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Max384, you are not the only one with this view. I feel killing the animals is the easy way out. When people resort to this they really did not exhaust the deter option at all. What about when you kill the animal who just took one of your fish to go back to feed its young, now they will most likely die by starving to death. Forget the pond thing for a minute, we have coyotes in the area and we have our cat who goes outside, if the cat gets eaten by the coyote then the coyote is not wrong. I as the owner of the cat is wrong and the coyote did nothing to deserve to die. My dog runs into the road and gets hit by a car should I kill the driver? ( I no this is extreme but making a point) As you say you will do anything to save your animals. In this case also the car owner did nothing wrong, I did not protect my animals and allowed them in this bad situation. We could really get into a big debate about killing things and that really was not my point for this thread.

Emotions obviously play a large role in your opinion on this matter. To me, it's not about wrong or right. I'm not killing an animal because I think that animal is wrong or evil or what have you. I'm killing an animal to save my animals. No offense, but your example about the driver is quite ridiculous and frankly pretty insulting to me, as it insinuates that my response is out of revenge, not to save my animals. This couldn't be further from the truth. Killing the driver would not protect any animals and wouldn't bring the cat back. It would only be done out of anger and revenge. Quite to the contrary, killing an animal that preys on mine would be done to save future lives. I do hope you see the error in your analogy.

And for the record, I've fortunately never had to kill any wildlife to save my pond critters.

My point was if we build something for our enjoyment then other animals should not have to die because of that, I personally could not even enjoy sitting by my pond anymore knowing I killed animals because of my man made pond. There are many ways to protect your fish before a gun or whatever means. However people will not educate themselves on how to do it and build the pond accordingly. Someone mention a net but a certain type of net that will not harm the animal, this is what my whole post is about, educate yourself so what ever you do will have the least amount of impact on animals for something we do on my property.

Like I said, I'd rather deter than kill an animal (except for hunting for food, which I do, but that's an entirely different subject), but if deterrents don't work, the animal's gonna go, not my fish. I'm going to try the deterrent route, but I'm not going to lose fish after fish trying new deterrents. So I may not exhaust all deterrent options before resorting to killing the offending animal, but I'm just not willing to have my fish sit around and play bait while I figure out ways to deter. Where you seem to focus on the killing aspect, I'm focusing on the saving aspect, which can't be denied. Death is a part of life. It may not be fair for the predator... But it's also not fair for the fish that we artificially put in a pond. But really, it's not about fairness at all. If something is going to die, I'd rather it be the pest, as it were, than the fish that I've brought to my pond and spend significant time and money raising.

There are many pond owners this year that lost fish during this harsh winter (some lost all), most are just like well I will just add more fish but a heron comes and takes then it must die, why? Just get more fish.

I personally built my pond as a source of enjoyment and for all wildlife to come to it and if I had to kill things to achieve this then that enjoyment would no longer exist.

I'm not saying this is the wrong attitude, because it's not. It just runs contrary to mine. But in my opinion, if you're just getting more fish, than you're allowing your pond to be used as a buffet. This is fine if that is what you're comfortable with, but not doing all that you can do to protect your fish is indirectly killing them. So, no matter how you slice it, you're either going to contribute to your pond life being killed or the predator being killed. You can obviously justify it by saying the predator has the right to kill to sustain itself, and that the fish are just for enjoyment. However, no matter what the purpose of the fish are, they're still living creatures that are there because you put them there, and thus being killed because of your choice to keep them. So, this is very much so a double-edged sword. It's not as cut and dry as killing or not killing. Inaction can be just as deadly as action.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Ah, but who is going to protect our fish from US? :)
We bought the fish solely for our entertainment.
Predators are eating them for sustenance.

Which is the greater need? :)

I built our pond for all animals to enjoy. I'll build the pond to provide safety for the fish, but not at the expense of other creatures.

As I said before, it doesn't matter whether we bought the fish for entertainment or for sustenance for ourselves. By looking at it this way, you've determined that their lives are less important because of the reason we keep them.

The greater need? Enjoyment vs. sustenance? In my opinion, you're looking at this quite wrong. You're looking at it from the perspective of yourself, which is natural to do. However, I think it makes more sense to look at it from the perspective of the animals themselves. And when you do this, it's about survival. Either the predator survives or the fish survive. To you, the fish are enjoyment. However, to the fish, they are living their lives oblivious to the fact that they're alive for our pleasure. So, it seems alien to me to view their lives as less important because of how we outwardly perceive their existence.

And, of course, but just to reiterate, I'd rather deter the animals so that this is a non-issue... But that doesn't always work and you've got to choose between allowing your fish to die as you figure out a way to deter the predator successfully or to kill the predator to save your fish. I realize to those of you who haven't thought of it this way, it may be difficult to accept that death comes by your hand in either scenario, but I think it's important to provide balance and look at this from a less emotional aspect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Actually, I'm trying to look at it from the fish's 'point of view. Either way, they are in your pond.
Not all pond keepers give the fish a good quality of life. Sometimes people can't look after them properly and they wind up suffering then dying. I would think the fish should rather be eaten while still healthy by a predator than suffer a slow and lingering death.
Enjoyment is pretty subjective and subject to the whims of the pond-keeper.

Of course, we each have our ponds and can do what with them we like. :)

Ask a Question