Will a wooden pond bow out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
As I stated, I built mine 8' x8' out of landscape timers, Then inside a screwed 5/8" plywood to each side to help distribute the force on the wall.. I've built so many wooden style ponds over the years and honestly about 5 years is as long as I have one last. I've never had a total failure, but over time termites, decay, water seepage, bowing, etc. have all played roles in tearing them down. Even the ones I have built now are not built or designed for long term life.

I appreciate knowing this. I should add that the ponds at the aquarium store were on level concrete in a greenhouse, not outside in the dirt exposed to the elements. Important point, I think.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How high are you planning to raise it? I just raised mine from a 30 inch ( ground level ) depth to 44 inches, pond is 17 x 14. wanted to go higher but it didn't look right. I used treated 4 x 4s sunk 24-30 inches in concrete. Sides are treated 2x8s back filled w soil & rock. Hopefully it'll last.
I love your square pond .;)

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Thanks, need some new picks w the work I've done to it the last 3 weeks.

Boss wasn't big on the rectangle idea but it's turning out better than I expected and she's warming up to it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 10x10x5 pond built from 2x12s with 4x4 posts every 2 1/2'. Post are in 30" with concrete. The back wall is completely above ground and sides are 2-4'. The sides are bowed out a little but its holding.

Ask a Question