Raised Wooden Pond

Kim

Reaction score
im wanting to build a raised pond, I've been looking a videos on YouTube and everyone uses 4x4, would it be possible to use 2x6's instead?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Kim,

I guess it depends upon how large you want to build it. There could be a lot of pressure on the walls, so 2" may not be thick enough and will bow out unless it's supported at regular intervals.
How big?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
4x4s are easier since you can just "log cabin" it together without tons of support posts along the sides to prevent it from bowing. I'm sure you could do 2x6s but you'd have to account for that in your design.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pipes in the ground outside the wood could hold it in place or even rebar and could also act as supports to put a cover over the pond .Almost like a green house for fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't recommend it. Even with extra bracing, at some point they could warp and look out of shape.

Oh wait...only 2 ft deep? I think you would be ok. Like I said though, I would add some extra bracing. If it's going to be that long, it will bow outward at some point.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
also depends she lives .Cold climates on an exposed pond will freeze faster and at that depth I would worry Plus bottom board would have to be a ground contact board .It will rot faster if not .What is your budget

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't use a bottom board. Just build four walls on the ground, and Line the inside walls , underneath the Liner, with styro-board. It will help. It would also help to make some sort of cover for the winter. Something that covers like 80%, and leave the rest open for oxygen. It would keep the cold draft off of the surface water. Not saying I Know everything, but that's how I would do it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine is partially above ground and there is a concrete block wall 3 high that hold the liner and then extruded polystyrene between the 2 walls to keep warmth in and it is only a couple of feet from my septic tank that gives off heat .The wishing well is where the septic tank is.I don't think I would wish for anything there LOL

Attachments

• new build stuff pond and rain 2016 017.JPG
    new build stuff pond and rain 2016 017.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 329

Kim

Reaction score
I think we have decided on 4x4 but know what size lag bolts should we use? Thanks for everyone's help!

Ask a Question