Will be putting in a fish pond with waterfall this summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
as others have mentioned; you don't need a heater to have fish, assuming you're looking at koi, goldfish, or something native that doesn't need a river flowing through it. Not to mention, heating a pond in the winter is going to cost you a fortune.

If you're going with concrete blocks, do some research and watch some videos but the basic idea is you'll need to fill the block holes with cement (not mortar; and you should be cementing the blocks, not mortaring them) and every other hole should have re-rod top to bottom. All this said, you'll need to seal the inside. And even then, you may still run the risk of deveoping a leak as mother nature likes to push and pull during the winter. If you're going to go the block route, backfill against the walls with sand.

Too, your pond floor should be cement with wire reinforcement or more re-rod; better if you can integrate the re-rod of the floor into each wall. The idea is this; when you build a house, you have foundation that is below the frost level. And upon this, you build with the blocks (old fashioned) or poured cement. The weight of the house on top helps strengthen the walls against nature's push in the winter and rainy seasons. You don't have this weight to help so your walls will experience sheer forces. The cement and re-rod helps hold it all together but it won't prevent evenutal cracks.

The ideas presented above are tried and true and a lot less problematic for the typical garden variety pond owner. That is, use a liner and it's both easier, cheaper, and more secure than cement ponds.

The tile idea while nice on paper truly will disappoint you in no time, as noted by mrsclem. Algae is going to cover everything and your pond interior will be green. Which isn't something bad; you want this as it is part of your balanced pond--which is your goal. As an example of 'everything's green'; I used two colors of sandstone for my bog wall. Spent a goodly amount of time laying it all out so it looked natural. Didn't take more than a month and every rock was covered with algae. I could have gotten cheaper and easier rock to work with but I was going by what I wanted, not what was going to happen. Tile in a pool is different as you're using chems to keep the algae at bay. In a garden pond, you're going to get algae and like I said, it's the good stuff that clings to everything submerged.

Also, consider your waterfall; most don't look to build the 'volcanoe' type waterfall, which is what will happen to yours if you don't consider the landscaping surrounding the pond. You want to make it gradual and natural. Google some waterfall vids and see some examples of taller waterfalls that don't look like they suddenly erupted out of the flat earth surrounding the pond. Look also at lower falls and see if the ideas work for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It would be best to have an EPDM liner rather than trying to waterproof concrete blocks or plain concrete.
There have been so many threads here about sealing problems or cracking concrete.

I suggest you build your walls, then drop in a liner. Or better yet, dig a hole and drop in a liner, then you won't need to build walls.

When I dug mine, I rented a small backhoe called a Terramite. It cost me $300 for the weekend. It was well worth it.

Either 45 mil EPDM or HDRPE are the best choices for liner material. Do not use a PVC liner. The prices are attractive, but it will fail quickly and you'll have to tear everything apart to replace it.

As others have stated, you don't need to heat your pond for the winter.
You just need to keep a small hole in the ice for gas exchange.
You can do that with a 40 watt pond breather or a 250 watt pond deicer.

One of the biggest problems people have are they add too many fish or introduce koi when the pond is too small.
Remember, the fish will reproduce and before you know it, you're overpopulated which leads to poor water quality.
It is said that your first koi needs at least 1,000 gallons and 250-500 for each additional koi.
So, you might want to stick with goldfish and shubunkin. Shubunkin are in the goldfish family and are very colorful with long flowing fins. They are a very nice looking fish that don't grow too big.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Question: How do I calculate how many gallons 4 ft deep 16 ft wide and 4 ft front to back would be?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! All the good advice has already happened here, so I'll just offer one unsolicited piece: lots of photos! Photograph each step in your progress. You'll look back and be glad you did!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rashad, the whole interior will be cinder blocked and concreted, so no worries concerning roots. skimmer is a good call I will definitely do that!
Never underestimate tree roots, even a 4 inch thick driveway is no match.

Reaction score
Country
United States
started digging pond.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

957 gallons

4x16x4 = 1900 gallons

Those calculators are pretty difficult to use accurately. I think it is making the assumption that you will have shelves that occupy 50% of your space, and so is dividing your volume by 2. But it doesn't tell you that. And it's quite the assumption.

Would it be okay if I created a "pond volume estimation" tutorial? The math is pretty simple—even for complex shaped ponds—when you know the conversion factors and take it step by step. Does this already exist somewhere? I think most of the calculators out there lead you wildly astray by making assumptions they shouldn't and not telling you how they're calculating.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
4x16x4 = 1900 gallons

Those calculators are pretty difficult to use accurately. I think it is making the assumption that you will have shelves that occupy 50% of your space, and so is dividing your volume by 2. But it doesn't tell you that. And it's quite the assumption.

Would it be okay if I created a "pond volume estimation" tutorial? The math is pretty simple—even for complex shaped ponds—when you know the conversion factors and take it step by step. Does this already exist somewhere? I think most of the calculators out there lead you wildly astray by making assumptions they shouldn't and not telling you how they're calculating.
I sent an email to Pond guy regarding their calculator. Have not heard back but I think you are right about them assuming plant shelves!

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

957 gallons
@addy1 i dont believe that calculation is true, as i recently found out, thepondguys calculator is off for some reason. His pond is actually closer to 1900 gallons (before any rocks or anything displaces water)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 i dont believe that calculation is true, as i recently found out, thepondguys calculator is off for some reason. His pond is actually closer to 1900 gallons (before any rocks or anything displaces water)
Thanks i just tossed in the numbers, never thought about the outcome.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is the reply I got from PondGuy regarding their calculator- @combatwombat called it- they figure ponds are not square. I think they should have a notation somewhere regarding how they calculate.

Thank you for your question. Our calculator uses length X width X average depth X 7.48. It assumes that the pond doesn't have straight sides and a flat bottom. Usually the bottom of a pond is sloped or has steps, so the entire pond isn't the maximum depth. If the pond has vertical walls at the edge and a relatively flat bottom, then you would use the maximum depth for your calculation. If there is a sloped bottom or steps in the pond, the entire pond isn't going to be the maximum depth, so the average depth needs to be used to determine the volume of water in the pond. Average depth can be a little harder to determine, but for our calculation, we divide the maximum depth by 2 to estimate the average depth. This works well for a pond with an evenly sloped bottom or with evenly spaced steps going down from the shore to the bottom of the pond. Without knowing the exact shape of the outside of the pond or the bottom of the pond, we try to give our best estimate for pond volume and usually average depth gives a much closer value to the actual gallons in the pond than using the maximum depth for the calculation. If you can provide numbers as to the size of your pond and the shape of the bottom of the pond, I can see if I can come up with a more exact estimate of the water volume of your pond.

Ask a Question