Will be putting in a fish pond with waterfall this summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will be putting in a fish pond with waterfall this summer. Would like to use this forum to make sure i am on the correct track.

1. The fish pond will be 4 ft deep 16 ft wide and 4 ft front to back. I live outside of st louis area so I will need a heater that will keep the pond warm during the winter months.

2. The waterfall distance: from top of the waterfall to the fish pond will be 4 ft. So I will need an appropriate pump for that distance.

Thank you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621269953644.gif
@ewllustration
Some here use those cattle heaters when the weather is freezing. I prefer Laguna Max Flo submersible pumps but I took the cage off of it and had it hooked up to a prefilter. Laguna pumps get good power savings. I like Pondmaster also. Had one for my waterfall for many yrs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This photo will give you a better idea what I am starting with

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This photo will give you a better idea what I am starting with
Welcome! I would worry about roots from the trees trying to puncture the liner. I know they make flexible concrete you can put in to help prevent that, or they make metal or plastic barriers you can dig down into the ground. Also, you'll definitely need a skimmer or intake bay or something like that since those trees are going to drop a bunch of leaves into the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I just use a pond breather to keep a hole in the ice on our pond. No heater to keep the water warm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rashad, the whole interior will be cinder blocked and concreted, so no worries concerning roots. skimmer is a good call I will definitely do that!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to line it with blue tile so the water will always look blue. I hope basic tile morter wont harm the fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have to take advantage of the hill side behind the area whether for a stream or a bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You think rubber is slick with some algae try ceramic tile

Ask a Question