sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would still worry about that uv since it is covered in ice .That ice around could be from it leaking slowly besides just the weather .If the casing has a crack in it water could be coming from that and not the snow and stuff around it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Can you get water evaporation during the winter months there is little humidity when ice starts to form, it can form above the normal water level.
Essentially when this happens the ice is taking water right out of the pond and continues to do so until it melts.
So the answer is yes it can and does so.
@Lisak1 well done great observation by you and a good answer for the poster

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lose water in the spring, once the plants grow It is surprising how much water they use up. Used to worry about leaks. I also lost a lot of water last winter, when I had an aerator running the dry cold weather sucked the water out. This winter I have a solid ice over, water level staying at a nice level. Using the pond breather.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I have my water on auto fill, timer that turns it on once a day during the summer. We dug in pvc lines that run to the pond, just have a short piece of hose going to it from the faucet that is on an irrigation timer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I lose water in the spring, once the plants grow It is surprising how much water they use up. Used to worry about leaks. I also lost a lot of water last winter, when I had an aerator running the dry cold weather sucked the water out. This winter I have a solid ice over, water level staying at a nice level. Using the pond breather.
With my covers over the pond for winter evaporaton isnt an issue with Val and my pond addy but too much water is :LOL:
The rain water pools on to of the polycarbonate roofing sheets and then gradually trickles into the pond , every few days when its raining I go out and crack open the overflow valve and listen to the exess water gushing down the drain .
I dont know just how many gallons gets skimmed off the pond by doing this but its normally a good 2" above that of the valve when I do this .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Cold for the fish

Actually the snow is good for the fish, too - snow is an excellent insulator. We had two dogs that were both cold loving dogs and they would go out and burrow into the snow and snooze for hours as the snow fell to cover them. They were goofy! But they knew how to enjoy th cold. So a snow covered pond is better than a bare frozen one, in my estimation.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Actually the snow is good for the fish, too - snow is an excellent insulator. We had two dogs that were both cold loving dogs and they would go out and burrow into the snow and snooze for hours as the snow fell to cover them. They were goofy! But they knew how to enjoy th cold. So a snow covered pond is better than a bare frozen one, in my estimation.
Yes, snow is a well-known insulator. Allowing it to accumulate on an iced over pond to contain warmth is a bit of a trade-off however. Snow cover will block any light from reaching the water, severely inhibiting any growth of algae that provides much of the Oxygen needed, especially in an iced over pond, even those with a vent hole in the ice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've heard that Meyer, but here's a contradictory observation. The previous two winters we've had record snowfall - last year we had snow cover on the pond unabated from late November until mid-March. Not one single day all winter when sunlight could reach the pond. And yet when the pond finally cleared in early April we found a type of algae growing on the rocks that we had never seen before. It was brilliant green and prolific. The fish cleared it out in a matter of days as we waited for it to get warm enough for them to start feeding again.

We'll see if we get the same type of algae growth this year, when the pond has been mainly open. We've had many days free of ice and (before today) our snowfall has totaled about 15 inches. We will double that amount today alone.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Doesn't all plant matter use oxygen to grow .I have fine algae in the bottom of my pond but fish have been slowly eating it as I see clear spots where it has been eaten and I watched them eating it .But I have only had one day where ice has covered only part of my pond .It was a somewhat think ice but crystal clear and the one side of the pond had no ice on it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've heard that Meyer, but here's a contradictory observation. The previous two winters we've had record snowfall - last year we had snow cover on the pond unabated from late November until mid-March. Not one single day all winter when sunlight could reach the pond. And yet when the pond finally cleared in early April we found a type of algae growing on the rocks that we had never seen before. It was brilliant green and prolific. The fish cleared it out in a matter of days as we waited for it to get warm enough for them to start feeding again.

We'll see if we get the same type of algae growth this year, when the pond has been mainly open. We've had many days free of ice and (before today) our snowfall has totaled about 15 inches. We will double that amount today alone.
Interesting, because photosynthesis can not occur without light and since chlorophyll is the mechanism of photosynthesis, it also cannot occur without light. The algae may have already been there, albeit either dormant or spores, and when gradually exposed to sunlight as the snow melted quickly turned green. This can happen in just a matter of hours.
Out of curiosity, why did you wait to feed the fish, they were obviously eating?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Doesn't all plant matter use oxygen to grow .I have fine algae in the bottom of my pond but fish have been slowly eating it as I see clear spots where it has been eaten and I watched them eating it .But I have only had one day where ice has covered only part of my pond .It was a somewhat think ice but crystal clear and the one side of the pond had no ice on it
Yes, but in a 24 hour period a plant will produce much more Oxygen than it will consume. This is why continued algae growth in an iced over pond is very important. Light is able to penetrate ice, but not snow.
Incidentally, there is an on-going debate in the science community about whether or not algae is truly a plant. Most are embracing the idea that it is NOT a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your still going to get the melt water when things start to thaw out Lisa , sadly that cannot be helped .
Our Polycarbonate roofing sheet covers allow photosythesis being double glazed, if we ever get any snow it is swept off as soon as it stops snowing .
So if your ponds edges are flat why not invest in a number of polycarbonate roofing sheets or invest in them and build a cover.
Which way you go would be down to you, some like ourselves just lay them atop the pond others build little greenhouse style structures instead and even build in an inspection hatch.
We use the same sort of polycarbonate sheeting on our filter housing but that is quadruple in its glazing .
I know about the insulating powers of snow from my military days but basically Lisa you a trade off between the snow insulting the ice and the growth of algae .
Once Meyer I would put have put algae down as a plant as you did as it produces oxygen in the same way as plants during daylight hours and C02 during the night time periods.
However it is now thought of as a unicellular or multicellular organism , that have chlorophyll and other pigments but lack true stems, roots, and leaves.
They occur in fresh or salt water or on moist ground, rocks etc.
Algae, which are now regarded as protoctists, include the seaweeds, diatoms, and spirogyra , did you know algae is acctually latin for seaweed ?

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question