wintering a common pleco

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In realty Plecos unless the temperature of your pond can support him all year around should not go into a pond , they are after all classed as tropical fish dp I have to agree with you it stands to reason that you let him come up to room temperatureand not to add warm wter to the cold.
Then Jon should set about adding a heater adding a heater to the container, then to bring him up a degree at a time until the tank reaches the correct temperature to support it correctly and personally next year keep him out of the pond and in doors

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, some strange ideas here.
You are bringing it in too late but oh well that's spilled milk. What I would do is fill a large inside container (biggest you have. 50 gallons or more) with outside water. Then bring the fish in and put it in that. Let the water warm on it's own. I would even try to insulate the container with blankets and pillows etc to get it to warm as slow as possible. Don't add any warm water.

Just to clarify I didn't mean to warm the water but to use the warmer room temperature water

sue

Reaction score
Country
United States
20151008_153819-1.jpg
I have 2 large plecos(9-10") we just brought in yesterday from Koi pond. good thing due to temp dropped to 62 this morning! we have I think 40 gal rubbermaid black stock tank, with 2 aerators going, and a plant, and algae tabs. still have one 4 inch pleco and one 4 " algea eater in the pond to try catch, if it stops raining. we also have 10 gallon fish tank inside with 3three 1 inch algae eaters alone (growing them before adding to the pond). Q: need to get filter for the stock tank and large plecos? or just do water changes? and Q2: do you think it would be too crowded to put 1 smaller algae eater in fishtank with others and maybe the 1 small pleco? im afraid to put smaller ones in with the really big ones? theyre ok in pond together, but its a large koi pond with lots hiding spots. how do you tell if plecos are doing allright? we normally dont see them much LOL. they grew from 2 " from petco, to like 9" just from spring till now! tysm!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Plecostomus are like any other tropical fish - they require good quality water at the right temperature, hiding spots for security, proper diet and lots of room to move around.
You will need a heater, filter, maybe some large (4") black abs pipe for them to hide in and some algae food such as spirulina tabs.
Perform regular water tests so that you are sure that the water quality stays high.

sue

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok tyvm, I have aerators, plants,and algae tabs and pellets. will go get filter then today.water temp should stay warm as stock tank is in my bathroom garden tub.. hoping I can get by putting the small pleco in the small aquarium with the tiny algea eaters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I forgot to mention, Sue, your plecostomus also need a source of protein.
I use shrimp pellets as a source of protein for my plecos.

Ask a Question