wintering pond in basement 10/09/09

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no its not target temp..its just the water temp by spring.. temp doesnt matter since they staying in the same water anyways.and they arent as attractive from the sides tho are they? thats why koi are meant to be veiwed from the top!

Reaction score
It depends on the fish really, some look different from the sides, some look better, some not so attractive.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think all Koi look better from above. When I sell Koi, they are in aquariums and I tell people, let me catch some first and then pick from the container. It is amazing how much better they all look from the top. Then when they are placed into their ponds the colors start to come out in about 2 weeks. The Ultra Violet from the sun brings it out.

Reaction score
That is so true. When I caught mine for the first time since putting them in, they didn't look like the same fish seeing them from a side view. They look much better when looking down on them.

Reaction score
I would have to say "most" Koi look better from above, but there are exceptions. I will have to take some pictures this weekend, but alas, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Exceptions are some of the butterfly koi ( I know some of the purist here don't like them) and the german scale Koi. Also some of the gin rins look quite nice from the side as well. I also have a fan tail fancy goldfish that is quite spectacular from the side view, but hard to see from the top (black fish, black pond liner).

Reaction score
I confess that when I started ponding many years ago, they didn't used to house koi in vats where you could see them from the top and I was limited to buying them from a tank where only the side view was available.

They may have looked glorious from the side, but then when I got it in the pond and saw it from the top, it was nothing special. So, then I made it a habit of having the store owner catch a few fish I was interested in and then letting me see it from the top in the container it was in.

Thankfully, these days it is easy to find breeders locally with nice blue vats or pools to see the fish from the top as they are meant to.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
outside of pet stores is there anywhere that doesnt sell out of at least 2 or300 gallon drums, vats or some kind of display pond?

Reaction score
these days the vats are common, but when I started with koi many years ago, this was not the case. Heck, when I started I had no local breeders at all and you were stuck with petstore finds. It was not common to see goldfish in vats either, and now you definitely see it more.

But these days, you are probably righ in that just petshops house fish in tanks.

Ask a Question