Winterizing, 2010-2011

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards

In my neck of the woods (Tri-State area of NY-NJ-PA), the temperature has been about 30ish degrees. I had winterized my pond for a couple days and got it done already for my 8 fishies :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:
DSC01587.jpg

First, I moved the filter into the pond's corner, hooked it up with a check-valve and all the fancy piping.
DSC01529.jpg

Next I installed a short 4-nozzle-fountain to provide some water circulation and aeration.
DSC01531.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

Next I used a stainless steel drum to cover the fountain.
DSC01559.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

Next I installed an underwater light for fishies to see in the dark because the pond would be covered completely by wood beams, plywoods and a tarp.
DSC01569.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

Next I went on covering the pond with wood beams and plywoods to hold up tons of snow ... just in case of the repeated-blizzard-attacks... :wink: :rolleyes: :yikesu: :)
DSC01563.jpg

DSC01567.jpg

Finally I covered the pond completely with a tarp to keep the water from freezing. From time to time, I'll open up the tarp, peek & spy-cam the fishies during the next 5 months, and post them here to share with you guys.
DSC01585.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow they have all the creature comforts of a nice home even in the dead of winter.............but where is the t.v and the lounge chairs :yikesu: I presume they get enough air cuz you are using the fountain for the air circulation. What a cool project :wink:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Johhny
Where did you get those cool jets? Great photo history, I look forward to seeing more as winter approaches.

Reaction score

J.W wrote:
Wow they have all the creature comforts of a nice home even in the dead of winter.............but where is the t.v and the lounge chairs I presume they get enough air cuz you are using the fountain for the air circulation. What a cool project

JW, thanks for your compliments.

stroppy wrote:
great idea, my only worry would be if condensation drips off the wood into the pond, if the woods treated could it harm the fish ?

Stroppy, thanks for your heads-up. As to the ply-woods & treated-wood-beams, I had thought about the chemical-contamination-risk; thus, I had previously soaked and thoroughly cleaned the woods as much as I could. So far, the fishies are still doing OK... No signs of chemical poisoning
fingersx.gif
DocDave wrote:
Johhny Where did you get those cool jets? Great photo history, I look forward to seeing more as winter approaches.

Doc, these cooling & recirculating jets can be purchased here by clicking the smiley icon:

DSC01535.jpg

Reaction score
DrDave said:
BestNest, I'm on their mailing list, thanks.

Doc, you're welcome.

Updating...

After 5 days later, I found out that solar heating has really worked. The Autumn-sun heats up the tarp like a greenhouse. The water temperature underneath was 59 degrees :rolleyes: today.

DSC01585.jpg

Hungry fishies were swimming around looking for food.
DSC01589.jpg

Since the water temperature was above 50 degrees, I fed the fishies lightly. I made a floater and dropped in some pellets.
DSC01606.jpg

:regular_waving_emot

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice job, your fish must love you.

Mine is too large to cover, but it is deep.

Reaction score
Updating...

After 17 days of covering, the water temperature is still around 60ish.
Fishies are hungry for food
DSC01642.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

Hmm.. how do you feed fishies daily through the tarp and plywoods?
DSC01585.jpg

An answer is the Koi Chef Automatic Fish Feeder. Thanks goodness for this feeder.
CP8111_99.jpg

I made a bracket to hold the feeder next to the stainless drum.
DSC01641.jpg

I insert the feeder right into the bracket. It fits like a glove. Fishies are automatically fed 8am sharp daily under the cover. When the water temperature drops below 50 degrees, I'll remove the feeder and "starve" the fishies :rolleyes::wink:
DSC01649.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

:regular_waving_emot

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job a lot of thought went into that!

Ask a Question