Winterizing, 2010-2011

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
DrDave said:
Time to start backing off on the food.

p-610900-18909-pond-supply.jpg

FeedingInstructions.jpg

The above Wardley's feeding instructions state:
"Feed no more than your fish will consume in 5 minutes.
Fish in outdoor ponds should be fed 2 or 3 times daily if water temperature exceeds 50 degrees F.
In colder water, feed once per day or cease feeding."

Wardley recommends the ponders to keep on feeding outdoor-fish if water temperature exceeds 50 degrees. Currently my pond's water temperature is 56 degrees, and the fishies are fed ONCE per day at 8am. I'm going to backoff the feeding soon. Doc, thanks for your kind reminder.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice explanations and set up you did.

Mine is a warm 34 with 1-2 inches of ice on it. The little ponds are frozen solid.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use the Wardleys pond pellet type when the weather is warmer in late Spring and Summer. Then I switch in fall to the Tetra Pond wheat germ type and stop when temps go below 55* to be safe.
I'm sure they still find some food in the pond to nibble on when they feel the urge. I didn't feed them at all for the first several years and they did fine. I'm talking gold fish here tho
fish5.gif

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Hinezy said:
Nice setup! Here's my idea of winterizing in central PA! Ha, Ha! I don't!

C4ucQ.jpg

Very nice! Hey Hinezy, how about a Season-Greetings-Card be made from your picture-of-Winter-Wonder-Pond? :bowdown:

Speaking of extreme cold weather out there... my sympathy to residents & ponders in Minnesota recently...BRRRRR...
g-cvr-101211-minnesota-snow-1015a.grid-6x2.jpg

Anyway, it's a lazy 50ish-degrees-Sunday for me in my neck of the woods, so I checked out the pond. I found that water flow to the 4 fountain nozzles were not at peak volume. My instinct pointed to the clogged foams in the combo filter. I opened up the filter... Yes, my instinct was right. Foams were clogged with debris & silts (See pics below). I cleaned the foams out and reset the filter into the pond. Hopefully the water flow will stay at peak volume for several weeks :wink:.

Hmm... I wonder where do the debris come from since I've covered the pond airtight :).
DSC01675.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
agree.gif
Shut the heck up...........it's 52* here right now at noon and it's bright and sunny so I'm not complaining :wink:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger. I can't help it we live just north of "Americas Finest City". This is highly unusual weather for us.
I expect to be using my fireplace again soon.

Ask a Question