Winterizing and pond cycling

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have a 9x4 foot 400 gallon pond with a 20 gallon tupperware and green scratchy pad filter. Over winter, I plan on draining the filter to avoid freeze issues. However, won't that effectively kill the bacteria that have built up there? Will the pond have to cycle again during the spring? The filter is buried in earth/rocks, so removing it and keeping it running indoors isn't an option.

By the way, when did the forum change its appearance? I dislike it very much. I find that it's very helpful to see everyone's pond size and experience in their signatures.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pond bacteria dies as the temperature gets below 40 or so, some say 50 degrees F. So yes the bacteria needs to regrow in the spring, but it is better than a totally new pond.

My signature is still there, see it on most people.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just went back and looked at my sig and yes my pond size and yrs experienced are gone. Guess we have to go in and put it back in our info so it shows up again.

Reaction score
Addy, did you have to drain and cut off your filter in AZ? Do you think it will hurt to run it through the winter. This will be my first winter so I'm just wondering what we should do. Thanks!

Reaction score
Addy, did you have to drain and cut off your filter in AZ? Do you think it will hurt to run it through the winter. This will be my first winter so I'm just wondering what we should do. Thanks!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

No my pond there ran year round, the water never got colder than 45 degrees. Left the waterfall, stream, pond all up and running.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just went back and looked at my sig and yes my pond size and yrs experienced are gone. Guess we have to go in and put it back in our info so it shows up again.

yep you are right I was looking at the links, guess need to put in again

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We don't get real cold here until around the end of december and I'm really hoping this winter is milder than the last 2 winters . Need rain not snow right now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It finally cooled down here in Nebraska in the lower 80's and had a nice rain last night/early morning here. Finally enjoying sitting outside and having supper by the pond again at night! Don't even want to think about winter yet...we get cold here in the winter....icky thoughts snow/ice/wind...yuck but know I'll have to bring in alot of plants and the fish and drain my pond...just dont want to think about actually having to do it yet...hopefully and probably in Oct here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How deep is your pond and couldn't you get a pond heater .I see people all the way in canada that leave there fish out and use a solar reflective cover and a pond heater and bubblers to keep a hole in the ice .Last year was our worst electric went out for 4 days and I was worried since I had no pond heater going before that happened .I just had a bubbler and no filters working at all .I kept a hole in the ice with plastic bowls floating .They made it through with flying colors no harm and my pond at the time was around 3 feet deep at one end

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is only 270 gals...8' x 6' x 18" deep. I dont know that I could keep it from freezing since we get cold here usually Dec- March and April we start to warm up again in the 40's usually. Figured I'd just have to drain it and bring the kids all inside. We always bring in plants anyways. Started looking for a cheap fishtank to keep em inside with. My waterfall/bog area add's another 4' in length.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well you need to go bigger and deeper next year and save yourself some work .

Ask a Question