Winterizing and pond cycling

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
holes in the ice arent for oxygenating the water as much as gas exchange.,..releasing harmfull gases trapped in the water from decaying bio/organic matter. colder water holds far more oxygen than warmer waters already.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The practice of putting a large ball in the water dates back the Dark Ages (pre-liner) of ponding. Ponds were then made of concrete, and tended to crack when ice formed in winter. Remember, water expands as it gets colder, and the ice will push against the pond sides. The ball was supposed to absorb some of this pressure, thus lessening the chance of a cracked pond. Liner ponds, on the other hand, have a lot more 'give' to them, and most have at least SOME slope to the sides, so this is no longer an issue. And Koiguy is right on with his comment! What kills fish under the ice is not a lack of oxygen, but a build-up of gasses such as hydrogen sulphide. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
ahhhhhh good to know. Thanks for the explanation. I always leave both pumps running 24/7 all year long. Bio & bog. So far, no problems.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

I did this every winter but after last winter I invested in a heater .This is just hooked up to a cheap pump and is down below the water level so does not make the water colder .I raised it up to show how it works and as the warmer weather gets here I just keep raising it up a little at a time .It warms the water a little at a time so there is no algae blooms from a big spike .In Virginia the weather changes so fast and can spike up to 80 and 90 degrees and then go down to 30 degrees at night .I found this way I can regulate the temps of the water easier and that keeps the water clearer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Last year, the cold came on quick and it stayed cold. I used the light under an upside down tote to keep a hole in the ice for years. It has worked every year except last year, the bulb busted. Than I used a flood light in a treble fixture, it broke. So, last winter, I think we went through 3-4 bulbs that busted in the water. Poor hubby had to reach in that cold water to get the glass out.

This year, I am not using the light. I think last year it just got too cold with no let up. I wanted to cover the pond, but we like looking at it with snow on it. The pumps keep a hole open, so I will probably just leave it alone.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I like the stock tank de-icers, they wont shatter like lightbulbs will. I turn it on about twice a week for 5 or 6 hours and rarely lose a fish. John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the one I got has a regulator on it that turns itself on and off when needed and since I am retired I don't want to have to think about it if I go away .This way my neighbor won't worry about it as much .We all share watching each others houses and ponds when we go away

Ask a Question