Winterizing small pond help

Reaction score
I would like to ask about the 2 watt air pump. I'm looking for an air pump that can stand a Canadian winter. Can I use a standard indoor aquarium pump for this? I worry about sticking something like that outside at -35C. Any help would be a appreciated.

newday3000 said:
I dont' disagree that it will raise the temp of the air inside the enclosure but in a climate that will freeze pond water surface to ice, having the air temp above the ice can't change the water temp below the ice.

I live where water will freeze 8-10 inches deep. My plan is 12W pump pointed at the surface to keep a hole open (someone else on a local forum says it works fine in our climate). I may also add 2 watt air pump to add oxygen. I plan on leaving the snow over the ice to act as an insulator and only keep a small hole open in the ice. It's my first winter with a pond so I will see how it goes.

rdk

Reaction score
I am sorry, but what are we talking about here. No air pump can pump air in water at -35%C. That is way cold. You need to heat the water big time with a powerful in water heater. That or drain the pond and find your fish and bring them inside. My air pump only try, failed when the temperature outside reached -8%C My pond froze over solid with the pump running under the ice. I have a strong air pump with an air tube only six inches from the surface. RDK

Reaction score
Thanks rdk. My issue is that every year I wait til the water gets cold so I can net my goldfish to bring them inside. Same this year and all the goldies are safe and sound. Over the summer I bought 5 small koi, which have disappeared behind rocks so I can’t pull them out. Have not seen them in 5 days now. I have ordered a surface heater and am now looking for options on a bubbler for the winter. Draining my pond is a option, but a last resort as I would need to look behind lots of rocks. Thanks for your help.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
shane_sda said:
Thanks rdk. My issue is that every year I wait til the water gets cold so I can net my goldfish to bring them inside. Same this year and all the goldies are safe and sound. Over the summer I bought 5 small koi, which have disappeared behind rocks so I can’t pull them out. Have not seen them in 5 days now. I have ordered a surface heater and am now looking for options on a bubbler for the winter. Draining my pond is a option, but a last resort as I would need to look behind lots of rocks. Thanks for your help.

could you not try draining the pond down low ? you might be able to net them then

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Haven't seen a reply to "I too am interested if the anacharis that currently is in the pond should be removed or kept in for the winter. It did super this summer." I am also interested in the answer to this question, as this is my first winter with my pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Anacharis grows wild here in Washington and we on the west side of the mountains are in zone 7 up north of Seattle. So thinking you being in Cali it would grow like mad and winter very nicely.............maybe too nicely,lol! It has a worse problem w/ too much heat. But if down deep in your pond it should be fine and looks like it did good over it's first summer at your place. My fish eat mine so fast I have to dole it out to them in bunches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you J.W. We don't get that much heat here. I'm in zone 8a, just barely in California. I'm actually in the redwood rain forest, right on the coast just below the Oregon border. We get about 100" of rain per year. Being on the coast, we also get very little freeze. So, I'm hoping that maybe my water hyacinth will also survive the winter. Although, I'm not holding my breath. We had hail today and the temp is currently 43 degrees.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmm, yep don't think the hyacinth stands too much of a chance. Some have brought it indoors over winter using bright lights and warmth.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You may want to pull some out, but mine were still green in the pond up to about 2 weeks ago before I pulled them out. I would leave a few and see what happens. Here is one that I brought into my aquarium two weeks ago and is doing rather well. It was a small one but has new growth starting.

Attachments

• P1030554.JPG
    P1030554.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 245

Ask a Question