sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a bird nest on my back porch and never bothered the birds when i went in and out ,but yesterday i came home from lowes and they just took flight and all landed in the maple tree and have not seen them since .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true momma and dadda were probably sick of feeding them .I will have to move the nest as it is under the roof of the side porch and it gets hot under there for the babies

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You're a good mama bird nanny sissy making sure they don't get overheated next time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not so good at it now I have a robin nest under the front porch roof .I made a bunch of new birdhouse in the last week and made the holes big enough to fit bigger birds and they still pick the house to build a nest .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
guess not but this is the first robin I have had nest under the roof of my front porch .

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Maybe the lil bird took the pluge because it was time to fly, the next day the rest caught up and they all took off.

I think he was the last one, because when I saw him by the steps I went to check the nest to see if the rest where there, but they were gone too. At first I thought my daughter scared him out, but then realized she was just caught in the middle of it all, glad it didn't scare her. :)

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Well so lately I have been adding plants and wood to the pond.

Here is what it looks like now:

DSC07255.JPG

At first I wasn't sure about the long branch going across the pond, I was trying to suspend it over it, but couldn't. But I left it and it started to grow on me. It is in the water a bit, but I'm not too worried about it leaching anything as it has been left in the elements for quite awhile, so I will see what happens. I could be totally wrong, just making a wide assumption hoping that any bad nutrients have gone with the weathering it has received. If anyone is knowledgeable on the subject, please chime in.

Here are the two miniature cattails (Typha Minima) I added.

DSC07256.JPG

In this picture you can see the horsetail I found growing wild that I hope will take off and shoot runners and pop up around all the larger rocks here, but time will tell. On the right side you can see the zebra rush (Scirpus zebrinus) I picked up today:

DSC07257.JPG

Here is a (left to right) purple pickeralweed (Pontederia cordata) and a Bloody Dock (Rumex sanguineus):

DSC07258.JPG

It was kind of funny, the lady working at the time who saw me pick it out said that she got her husband one 3 years ago and it keeps coming up each spring. Was funny because she sound sad and annoyed when she said it. :)

In this picture you can see some horsetail in the foreground and some full size cattails that I dug out of the ditch near my parents house and planted last fall after bare rooting them. I think if they take off will add a nice tall screen with the reed grass I planted and the tall stump I added to that side of the deck. Also you can see a stump I added on top of the cave.

DSC07259.JPG

In this picture I have some more horsetail and cattail, and I also have some hornwart that is weighted down and wedged between some rocks. I also have Red Stemmed Parrot's Feather (Myriophyllum Brasiliensis).

DSC07261.JPG

I also picked up 2 water lilies from Menards and placed them on top of the cave to hide the pumps, and am thinking I will move the parrots feather over there too to give it some more room to grow taller. I did find out that I can lay some 2x4s across the right angle there in the deck and reach far enough down in the water that I can place stuff on the cave, so good to know for future reference.

I also moved the water lettuce and hyacinth into the little spillway (probably 6" deep or so) below my filter return waterfall because the two water lettuce I threw in the pond got caught on the rocks by the cave when the stream pump turned on and got stranded up there all day until I noticed. So I will see if they thrive here.

DSC07262.JPG

Here you can see the Rosy Red Minnows I added to the whiskey barrel to keep the mosquitoes down (will move them to the pond in fall or to a small aquarium indoors). They scatter when they see you get near so had to take these from a few feet away.

DSC07263.JPGDSC07264.JPG

Here is another view of the pond again with the long branch going through it. I also wedged the end of it between 2 rocks so it won't move, but far enough away from liner it shouldn't do any damage.

DSC07265.JPGDSC07266.JPG

Has anyone tried having regular parrots feather just floating in their ponds? Thought it might look cool and provide some shade.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good job getting catails out of ditch, was it hard? I tried that once but the catails were too big and I couldn't get the root. Its good to have some local plants too. I got some needle spike rush that I once dug out too! Have fun on the deck today, do you sit and drink coffee their?

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Good job getting catails out of ditch, was it hard? I tried that once but the catails were too big and I couldn't get the root. Its good to have some local plants too. I got some needle spike rush that I once dug out too! Have fun on the deck today, do you sit and drink coffee their?

Thanks colleen, I actually got them in the fall (september I think), but I got them from the part of the ditch that the town cuts down, so they were only a foot or tall because they had regrown. So I dug them up with a shovel, put them in a bucket and brought it home. I pulled the dirt around the roots by hand and then used the hose to get rid of the rest of the dirt. Occasionally I sit on the deck, but then I start tinkering, so I need to learn to relax by the pond! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's the problem herzs you sit and then look around and see something that needs done and next thing you know you are doing it and then you say I thought I came out here to sit and relax ,oh well .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Everything you have added, all the plants and the driftwood fits just right in their own spots. I like how you have all that rock around the underwater edge of your pond so you have lots of spaces for the plants to be tucked in. Wish I would have done that now that I see yours!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm hoping you will finish your drinks and zoom out here and do it for me :moped:

Ask a Question