JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, everyone. I currently have a mini-pond, I'd guess it to be no more than 30 gallons. We've kept a few Shubunkin fish in it successfully for 3 years along with water lilies. Toads also love it. Its nothing fancy.

I also plan on trying a frog-habitat themed mini pond this year which I will be creating a topic about in the Newbies to Garden Ponds section soon.

Heres some photos of our pond.

The first 2 years we had it in a "box" we made. My dad likes woodchips, though I'm not a fan of them. I feel that they take away from a more natural look. This photo was right after we finished it, later that year the plants filled in and made it look much nicer.
80240525.jpg

Last year we removed the box and moved the pond to the front of the house, which I didnt like as much because for some reason the water got very murky.
96682323.jpg

Our water was crystal clear for awhile.
72969885.jpg

A few lilies bloomed last year, the previous plant we had never did.
96770915.jpg

and like I said, the toads love it. They'd show up every night and sometimes during the day.
58522417.jpg

51309583.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and for only 30 gallons it sure looks bigger .I like pea gravel my self or river rocks or even those black stones or marble chips brighten the area up .Looks like you did a great job considering how nice it looks .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
howsitwelcome.gif
JBtheExplorer
Looks like a fine little pond and I love your pretty Shubunkins :razz:
I have a few mixed in w/ my other goldfish.

Ask a Question