j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CE even here in our rainy PNW when the sun does come out and warms us a but I see a drop in my pond each day, depending on how hot it can be an inch or 2 but then when back to clouds it doesn't go down much. Not any drops in the level now tho just overfilled w/ constant rain.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Herz, you "had" 2 of the dragons tattooed on your body? Do you mean you have them removed? How did that turn out?
My ponds have been dropping by about 1" of water every 3-5 days, and I see no leaks, so can only assume that the wind we have been having is doing it. Doesn't take very long to "top it off" though, and since I have well water, no worries.
That sounds about normal, mine does as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When our humidity drops, wind blowing, sun out, down the level goes. I have a lot of surface area to let water evaporate from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I lost about an inch in the last week. We haven't had any rain lately and it has been 80's and 90' the last 4-5 days.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Hertz, I SAW what You DID!! Looks really good too! Never realized how long your stream is, the possiblities are endless, yellow monkey flower could twine in and around stream, little snips of this and that, and than the stream will really come alive! BUT ...... I Saw WHAT You DiD! ..... your little Stacked ROCK Thing!! You know,...... that's how it starts, ..... only Real HARD Core rock people can identify each other.... they all STACK The ROCKS. Ha ha ha. :) :) :) :) :) P.S. Coming to steal the stump ......
:) I once stacked rocks in this real stream at the park and made it look like a little man.... have you tried making stacked rock people???

I have seen that done, but haven't tried it yet! that was my version of a japanese lantern. I did find a stone place that sells rocks and has some with really cool veins in them, might have to break down and buy one instead of just scavenging, will post a pic if I ever get one

Herz, you "had" 2 of the dragons tattooed on your body? Do you mean you have them removed? How did that turn out?
My ponds have been dropping by about 1" of water every 3-5 days, and I see no leaks, so can only assume that the wind we have been having is doing it. Doesn't take very long to "top it off" though, and since I have well water, no worries.

lol sorry, wrong descriptive word, I meant had in the past tense as in the actual act of the tattooing, they are still there and always will be :) one on my chest and one on my leg, I also have a gothic dragon on my arm.

mine seems to drop an inch or so a day or every other, but I attribute it to evaporation, to check out evaporation i set a bucket of water next to the pond and it matched the water loss in the pond (and the water barrel) so thats part of the reason I figure its normal, plus with all the water running in the falls and the splash plus the gorge, I'm not surprised it drops that much. plus I have the great way to see how much it drops when the stream is off by checking the level below my overflow drain

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
So I also have a bunch of pics to share but will split it over a few days instead of my usual all at once. I was out by the pond late one night last week and noticed a lot of fish hanging out by the light that shines into the pond:

DSC07434.JPGDSC07439.JPG

In this next one you can see the arrow pointing to one of the bigger fish hanging out in the shadows.
DSC07440.JPG

The rosy reds were the easiest to spot
DSC07441.JPGDSC07444.JPGDSC07444.JPGDSC07445.JPGDSC07447.JPGDSC07458.JPG

This last one is of some algae that is growing on the hornwort.

DSC07451.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hertz, looking forward to seeing more "close up shots" of your rock Japanese lantern, see I knew you had some stacked rocks, it looks good by your pond! Those fish look like they are hanging out at the light to get the bugs that are attracted to the light at night, mine do that too, I call it "fishing for bugs" by nite light!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Try down lights on your pond and you will see straight down into the water .I love my LED lights i set up and took out all my up lights in the pond .I found it is much nicer not being blinded by those up lights in the pond when you are looking down into them .The down lights shine down and make the fish clearer .The bulbs i found at sams club at 19 dollars for them and are for outside use and the holders were from my christmas spot lights .best thing is the globe around them is plastic and LED's do not attract mosquito's

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
here are some more pics. this is of the pond at night again (same night) but this time with the flash on:

DSC07460.JPGDSC07462.JPGDSC07467.JPGDSC07468.JPGDSC07475.JPG

here are some pics of the fish checking out the gravel around the newly repotted lilies and eating some algae off the rocks

DSC07399.JPGDSC07404.JPGDSC07478.JPG

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
So here are some pics of a little frog who made his home in the upper pool. He likes to hide out among the rocks or even the stream outlet (when it isn't running), but haven't seen him the last few times, so either he is hiding or has moved on...

DSC07424.JPGDSC07425.JPGDSC07426.JPG

I also noticed the bigger fish have been swimming upstream, but only got a couple pics of them because any time they would see me they would take off back into the pond:

DSC07422.JPGDSC07428.JPGDSC07431.JPG

Ask a Question