Women of GPF, your fridge...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When the kids were living at home, the fridge was packed. Now that they have all moved out, the fridge is bare, just my Mountain Dew and the hubbies pop. And condiments. We work different shifts, so we are not here at the same time except Sunday's.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We seem to keep ours pretty bare bones. I do a lot of eat thinning out. Most stuff is kept in our freezer in the garage. I am really good about not wasting food. If I see something that is not getting eaten in there I don't care which meal it is from, breakfast, lunch or dinner, I will eat it for the next meal before it rots. Nothing hardly ever gets thrown out here. I have it down pat! I think I would have done well in the armed forces as I do like things in order. Lights off, counters clean, shoes off, no food bits on floor, bed made etc. And I have never believed in expiration dates. If I bought it I eat it and that's that! I have 2 neighbors that throw out anything that is expired by even one day. I told them to give it to me and I'll eat it.......well unless it is something I do not like or is not on my latest diet plan

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hate to say but what I can get together is all the extra appliances ,like sandwich machine ,blenders ,crockpot ,mixers ,popcorn machine (which by the way I would not do with out )deep fryer ,my son buys these things and then I have to find a place for them ,geeze he even got a hot chocolate machine oh and forgot the meat slicer .Need a pantry for this stuff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
LOL My fridge goes up and down as far as how full it is. I tend to keep leftovers and put them into dishes and containers with good intentions.
I usually have to go through the fridge every week or two and throw out half of what I thought we might finish off. Half we do eat or hubby takes in his lunch. So fridge never gets overly full. I do however really need to clean out my cupboards as they are quite full. That is where I have a little problem lol. I tend to grocery shop and don't always remember if I have it in my cupboard so I buy it and end up with multiples or lots of things I don't use often. Do a full clean out and organize my cupboards once or twice a year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We seem to keep ours pretty bare bones. I do a lot of eat thinning out. Most stuff is kept in our freezer in the garage. I am really good about not wasting food. If I see something that is not getting eaten in there I don't care which meal it is from, breakfast, lunch or dinner, I will eat it for the next meal before it rots. Nothing hardly ever gets thrown out here. I have it down pat! I think I would have done well in the armed forces as I do like things in order. Lights off, counters clean, shoes off, no food bits on floor, bed made etc. And I have never believed in expiration dates. If I bought it I eat it and that's that! I have 2 neighbors that throw out anything that is expired by even one day. I told them to give it to me and I'll eat it.......well unless it is something I do not like or is not on my latest diet plan

lol not organized like you jw, but do not waste food. I ignore expiration dates, i.e. eggs, and other stuff, it is good way beyond the use by date. We hardly ever toss food. Sometimes the lettuce gets mushy then it goes into the worm bin to feed them. So it still gets used. The worms are great about eating too old veggie stuff. And they make great compost for us. It is a fantastic compost for growing plants inside and to fluff the outside veg garden. I fed them a lot of lettuce, sliced apples, shredded paper and cardboard before we took off. Enough to keep them happy for months. Last check they still had stuff to eat. They love the glue in the cardboard.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep my pantries over organized. They are set up like a grocery store and anything that is close to best use by date gets put up front with the date marked in big black #s. All dry goods that are open are in jars labeled. OCD???
Don't even think of putting a can of soup in front of the veggies or a cereal box with the pasta.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lmao mrsclem, I am so NOT OCD. As long as I know what shelf it is on I am happy. Cans/jars go in one pantry, boxes of stuff in the other. One shelf is for extra cooking stuff.
One shelf is for missy, treats, food, grooming tools lol

Down here, it is a mess, dry wall dust, tools everywhere, wood, flooring, finally put dishes in cupboards, panty ..........sort of organized, very sort of lol
At least we have two bathrooms and a kitchen sink, this time, last time down here we had just one sink in the bathroom, along with a shower and of course one toilet, functional, lol

I do like knowing where my tools are, honey is not good about putting them back, he sort of drops and leaves them............ I have a this is my tool box, leave it alone sort of works sort of, but if he can not find what he used he swipes mine. sigh

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I need to get a new tool box with a lock. Mine is empty!! Can't imagine where all my tools went. Maybe get those pink tools? 26 yrs. in this house and he still can't remember which kitchen tools go where. Scary when you consider he is a flight medic!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm the cook, so hopefully this thread applies to me too, lol
My wife buys more food than she should, but she only buys healthy things like organic vegetables, meat. That keeps me on my toes coming up with new ways to use things before they go bad.
Thank goodness for vegetable steamers and freezers!
My pantry is really UN-organized, I kind of treat it like a memory game, lol.

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My hubby is a food horder and I am constantly cleansing and purging the fridge of way old stuff like ketchup, mustard, sauces ect. I never eat those things and hubby want's them but then they sit there till old and rotten and then I have to cleanse and purge things and sneak them out to the garbage when he is not looking!! We keep the freezer well stocked and the puppies do their part by eating all the moose in there! There is also some deer and cow and bacon too in the freezer. Made a pot of chilli and we have been eating that this weekend, and soon I am going to make hubby breakfast, Bacon eggs and fresh mini blue berry pancakes with real maple surup and butter!! yummy!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The leafy stuff goes out for the bunnies here .They know right where to go and look at there dish .I do buy some just for them also in the winter .I love my bunnies .But in the spring I have to walk all the property in case there are bunny nests and flag them

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Down here, it is a mess, dry wall dust, tools everywhere, wood, flooring, finally put dishes in cupboards, panty ..........sort of organized, very sort of lol

There you go again, Addy! Organizing panties!! :D
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's when you find a green mouldy thing lurking in the back with a life of its own OMG :( how did you miss that ::D
"IT'S AlIVE, IT'S ALIVE":eek:
Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question