Worm help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new here and quite new to ponds I have a small garden pond I will attach some pictures been running quite well I inherited it with the house. Last year the fish had got to big to went to my dads who has a huge pond. I emptied my pond cleaned (no chemical just elbow grease) and refilled the pond and put 20 baby Jumbo Koi Fry in thinking some would not survive but have not lost any I get a lot of green weed and used to manage it with Colombo no more blankets weed but have not used it with the baby fish so I have a fair amount of weed at the moment but I looked yesterday and I have white worms in the pond as well now are these ok or do I need to treat it with something? I have attached some pictures to help

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 60
  • pond worms.jpg
    pond worms.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 57

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Since you are in the U.K., I have no idea what type of critters you guys have. It’s probably the larval form of some insect and probably not harmful. If the fish like to eat them, them, then free food (how fish would survive without human intervention).

But, I will comment that your pond looks way too small for koi!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have no clue what those worms are... could they be falling from the trees? Are the alive in the water - in other words aquatic worms?

I am a bit confused by why you would add 20 "jumbo baby koi" to a small pond. (The name kind of cracks me up!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Beautiful pond!

You say you manage the weeds with Columbo. Is that a typo or does Peter Falk (Lieutenant Columbo) actually come to your house to remove the weeds? :D

All kidding aside.... I agree with the others. Way too many koi for your size pond. Looks like you'll be rehoming more fish into you father's pond. Koi grow fast. At least you have another place to home them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Very nice pond, better suited for some nice fan tails!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all your comments I should of said we are using my pond as a nursery pond for my dads which is bigger than my whole garden, and the fish I have at the moment are only just over an inch and appear to be in perfect heath and the worms have disappeared so fingers crossed problem solved it self.

Ask a Question