Would a pond look rubbish with no edging?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've dug a hole for my first ever pond. It's about 3m x 1.5m. Roughly kidney shape and approx 60cm at its deepest.

I won't be putting fish in it and hope to attract frogs, damselflies and maybe newts.

I have a load of white cobble stones that I've salvaged from another part of the garden, ranging from golf ball size up to large potatoes. I plan to cover the liner of the pond with these completely.

My plan was to edge it with larger white rocks but I can't find what I want. So, I need another edging suggestion. Would my pond look odd with no edge at all - ie. just the cobble stones mentioned above?

The hole is in a flowerbed so I have space to plant as much as I want around the edges and I plan to build some kind of decking that overhangs the back of the pond a little bit.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Plant things around the edges that flow over and into the water. Creeping jenny comes to mind for this. If you do it that way it will look extremely natural. I mention creeping jenny because I have used it in the past when I had a small pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
phlox also does a great job of hiding edges but not sure if it is fish safe .Have you ever tried making your own rocks from cement also .You can even dye the cement colors .Free rocks from creeks and pieces of driftwood .I know here in the U.S. we can but pavers that are white

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome James.

Plants, stones, no edging whatever you like is just perfect!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
How did it turn out?
Ok. In part. I managed to get hold of some nice old cobble stones. These were from an original Edinburgh street, so each one has a really nice 'smooth' edge. I've managed to place them in a way that has some nice and flat tops and others a bit rougher. Some around the pond and some actually in it.

I do think I've put the pond in the wrong part of the garden. ALL the leaves blow into that corner, so it's causing a bit of a headache in winter and I now have to try and get all of the leaves out AGAIN this weekend in the hope that I get some frogspawn this year. I had 2-3 frogs in the pond last year, but I think they were all male so no spawn.
I also think I've put it a bit too low. The lawn is fairly close and slopes up. I'm going to take some of that away so the pond sits a bit higher.

I'll post another pic when I've tidied it up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A bit of driftwood here and there among plants, rocks etc.would look nice too.

Ask a Question