Would holes drilled in top of PVC pipe help with adding air/oxygen?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since my recent pond learning curve is apparently focused on lowering water temps and adding oxygen, this ocurred to me.......

The water return from the turtle bog to the pond is via 4" PVC [I wussed out on doing a stream]. In order to get the water to flow out where I wanted it, I had to add a few bends [my drawing only shows 1 bend, but there are 2, I think....]. Not sure of the length, but overall it's probably close to 10'. This is a closed drain, only open at the 2 ends. Do you think it even matters....would drilling a few holes in the top of the pipe make any difference at all in oxygenating the water on its way back to the pond? The flow is pretty slow as it is so I'm not talking about a Venturi effect, just pass-by air.

For about the last 10" or so of the drain [as far as I could reach inside] I placed a layer of lava rock for a little bit of agitation, but that was just something to make me feel good -- if there's no air in there.......

image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't think so. The only thing it might do is allow the water to flow faster into the pond giving more of a splash when it hits the pond water. I think the work wouldn't be worth the return.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any impact would be negligible. Have your Oxygen levels been dangerously low? Have you tested?
Just suspicious of low O2 with our heat and my water temp. being in the 90's (before I added shade -- water temps are better now).

How do you test for O2 in the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
If I'm correctly understanding what you're wanting to accomplish, you may want to consider drilling one hole, maybe a 1/4" dia. anywhere along the top of the length of the pipe, inserting a 1/4" dia. clear vinyl air line through it, and attach a small air stone within the pipe. You can then connect the vinyl line to a small air pump. I have designed this approach into my swimming pond with a network of 5 'bubble lift pumps' connected in series, made from common 4" PVC fittings. The air pump supplying air through the air stone causes water to flow and oxygenates.

Come to think of it, you may not even have to drill a hole in the pipe. Rather, maybe just place the air stone at either the entrance or exit of the pipe.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
If there is any water disruption where the water coming out of the pipe enters the pond creates oxygen. The significance of the water disruption determines the amount of oxygen it creates

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gee, I'd forgotten about this thread....

@Chelseabreeze I do appreciate your response.... What you're talking about is what I've done with my Skippy....to add air as it enters the filter. In theory, this is supposed to help oxygenate the water flow for the biomedia -- and my water always tests "neg" for NH3, NO2 & NO3, so it must be helping...... ;)

But for my situation, and the reason for this thread......for the return flow from the small bog back to the pond, I chose not to use a stream, but to "conduit" [if that word can be used as a verb.....] the water via 4" PVC. So, where water from an open stream would be in constant contact with the the air as it flowed back to the pond, my water doesn't really pick up any "extra" air/oxygen until it exits the pipe and enters the water. So, I guess what I was thinking was more of a way to allow my [closed] PVC pipe to have greater contact with the open air. It didn't occur to me until I started having a rise in the water temp. due to this summer heat wave!!!! I know that warm water can't hold as much DO, so I had this mental image of the water flowing through the PVC pipe being all gross & stagnant :hungover::stinkyfeet::yuck: by the time it gets to the pond -- I know it's not, but who can explain how our minds work some time, right?

And @Jersey_Marine After my initial panic, I realized that what you've said is really all I should be concerned with in this situation.

Here's what the "return" looks like, though I have the pump dialed down a little from when this pic was taken.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Gee, I'd forgotten about this thread....

@Chelseabreeze I do appreciate your response.... What you're talking about is what I've done with my Skippy....to add air as it enters the filter. In theory, this is supposed to help oxygenate the water flow for the biomedia -- and my water always tests "neg" for NH3, NO2 & NO3, so it must be helping...... ;)

But for my situation, and the reason for this thread......for the return flow from the small bog back to the pond, I chose not to use a stream, but to "conduit" [if that word can be used as a verb.....] the water via 4" PVC. So, where water from an open stream would be in constant contact with the the air as it flowed back to the pond, my water doesn't really pick up any "extra" air/oxygen until it exits the pipe and enters the water. So, I guess what I was thinking was more of a way to allow my [closed] PVC pipe to have greater contact with the open air. It didn't occur to me until I started having a rise in the water temp. due to this summer heat wave!!!! I know that warm water can't hold as much DO, so I had this mental image of the water flowing through the PVC pipe being all gross & stagnant :hungover::stinkyfeet::yuck: by the time it gets to the pond -- I know it's not, but who can explain how our minds work some time, right?

And @Jersey_Marine After my initial panic, I realized that what you've said is really all I should be concerned with in this situation.

Here's what the "return" looks like, though I have the pump dialed down a little from when this pic was taken.
View attachment 84949

Oh wow. You have a great flow of water. More than I expected. You would get even more water disruption if you removed the rocks on the bottom of the output. If you go to the Pond Showcase and look at Jesse's Pond you will see my waterfall drop and I also have a terracotta sideways pot with my filter return spitting out of it further from the waterfall. The pot output is kind of hard to see but I can tell you your water output is alot stronger than whats coming out of my filter return. You should definitely have enough water disruption especially if you remove those rocks under the output of the PVC pipe

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh wow. You have a great flow of water. More than I expected. You would get even more water disruption if you removed the rocks on the bottom of the output. If you go to the Pond Showcase and look at Jesse's Pond you will see my waterfall drop and I also have a terracotta sideways pot with my filter return spitting out of it further from the waterfall. The pot output is kind of hard to see but I can tell you your water output is alot stronger than whats coming out of my filter return. You should definitely have enough water disruption especially if you remove those rocks under the output of the PVC pipe
Thanks for the encouraging words!! I wish I could have a greater drop, but I'm limited by the fact that I didn't build my little turtle bog up enough to allow for the slope. Right now I have the rocks replaced with a terra cotta saucer. When the water hits the saucer it splashes and swirls around just a bit before it enters the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Anything that causes more surface area of water to be exposed to the atmosphere will increase the diffusion rate of Oxygen to the water column. The more movement the greater the diffusion rate.
Your 4" return from your 'bog' also contains air. The movement of the water through this return already provides a level of Oxygenation. Drilling additional holes in this return would have a minimal effect as the return pipe already holds as much air as space is available.

Ask a Question