Would love your ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi everyone! I live in zone 7 of the Southeastern United States. I'm planning a small pond in my front yard. I have a screened in front porch and want to put the pond near it. There are two big trees in the yard... My thought is that I can carefully hand dig the pond and work around the largest roots, when I run into them. (Obviously, this will require a liner, rather than a pre-formed insert.) At this point, I'm thinking of a 6 foot by 4 foot (approximate) shape, with a small waterfall. There is an old stone wall between my yard and my neighbor's. I thought perhaps I could situate the little stack of rocks to make the waterfall look like it's coming out of the wall and spilling into a little basin, leading to a "stream" of maybe 2 feet, going into the main pond. What I hope for is a very simple, small, natural-looking, informal pond to be pretty and soothing. I'd like to have just a few little goldfish and would hope to attract some frogs or any other creatures. Although we are within the city limits, our town is very heavily wooded and near a national park. We have deer, coyotes, hawks, rabbits, chipmunks, raccoons -- all sorts of wildlife. So -- with that in mind, I would love to hear your ideas. Your warnings about what NOT to do -- let me learn from your mistakes! :) I'm on a budget and do have limited space. What's the most efficient way for me to go with this? I can't wait to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may have to protect the pond from those animals or fish will be eaten and all those leaves from the trees in the fall will mean putting a net over the pond .I have mine by my front porch .You also have to think of access to electric .I bought a laguna pump and the energy savings on them is amazing .You can use a tote to build a filter .I used lava rock in mine .I would double the tote up so it is sturdier .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My 7 x 4 pond was fairly cheap. We were also on a budget. We were lucky enough to find a 14x14 pond liner on sale for $40 at Menards. The most expensive thing was flagstone which was less than $200. Plants can get expensive too so its best to buy ones that spread and come back like water lilies or cattails.

You may have issues with the fish being taken by wildlife, so you might want to get the cheapest goldfish you can find and see if it works out. With that being said, we had a family of raccoons living in a tree not 50 ft. away from my pond and no goldfish or frogs have disappeared, yet, so they might be just fine.

Good luck on your project and I hope you share the process with us!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like a neat idea! I have fox, raccoons, deer, hawks, trees, the only real issue I deal with is herons. Since you are thinking of putting it in the front yard, make sure you follow what rules you have about having a attractive nuisance there. i.e. fencing laws so no kids can drown. In phoneix it could not be any deeper than 18 inches or it had to be fenced.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Build the pond up around the edges to allow no runoff into the pond. Make a little ledge like a step about 6" or so off the top all the way around the pond to put rocks on so bare liner will not show. Water will cover part of the rocks in that lower level of rocks.Top that w/ other rocks around the edge and you will have a more natural looking pond edge.

IMG_3800.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey jw, what is the name of that plant in your photo that floats on the surface like a lily pad? I've seen them in nature and wondered what it was.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They smell like vanilla, a real nice smell

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish there was a way to keep little critters from chewing through the liner .I used underlayment but i first put down roofing felt on the bottom and on the sides but only took pics of the bottom .Darn winds were gusting to 30 mph and I just wanted to get it in .I had put it in under other liner but only on the bottom .Decided to put it on the sides this time .I had 2 rolls of it in the basement left behind by builder when front porch was done .I bought ice and water shield for the whole roof instead .The roofing felt under the other liner was really stuck to the soil and figured do it again .It is not expensive and another barrier .

Attachments

• new pond 024.JPG
    new pond 024.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to keep little critters from chewing through the liner .I used underlayment but i first put down roofing felt on the bottom and on the sides but only took pics of the bottom .Darn winds were gusting to 30 mph and I just wanted to get it in .I had put it in under other liner but only on the bottom .Decided to put it on the sides this time .I had 2 rolls of it in the basement left behind by builder when front porch was done .I bought ice and water shield for the whole roof instead .The roofing felt under the other liner was really stuck to the soil and figured do it again .It is not expensive and another barrier .
Looking very nice.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dumpster dive some old carpet. If you go to your local floor coverings warehouse/dealer, they give it away. Cut it to fit.

lachancesare

Lachancesare
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I live in zone 7 of the Southeastern United States. I'm planning a small pond in my front yard. I have a screened in front porch and want to put the pond near it. There are two big trees in the yard... My thought is that I can carefully hand dig the pond and work around the largest roots, when I run into them. (Obviously, this will require a liner, rather than a pre-formed insert.) At this point, I'm thinking of a 6 foot by 4 foot (approximate) shape, with a small waterfall. There is an old stone wall between my yard and my neighbor's. I thought perhaps I could situate the little stack of rocks to make the waterfall look like it's coming out of the wall and spilling into a little basin, leading to a "stream" of maybe 2 feet, going into the main pond. What I hope for is a very simple, small, natural-looking, informal pond to be pretty and soothing. I'd like to have just a few little goldfish and would hope to attract some frogs or any other creatures. Although we are within the city limits, our town is very heavily wooded and near a national park. We have deer, coyotes, hawks, rabbits, chipmunks, raccoons -- all sorts of wildlife. So -- with that in mind, I would love to hear your ideas. Your warnings about what NOT to do -- let me learn from your mistakes! :) I'm on a budget and do have limited space. What's the most efficient way for me to go with this? I can't wait to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
As for pond plants and fish, if you have any neighborhood or community associations, ask if anyone with a pond needs to get rid of some of their plants and fish. (I live in Baltimore and made just such an offer, as I need to repot my lillies and marginals and could use a little thinning of my fish.)
I agree that you MUST cover your pond as soon as the leaves begin to fall to save yourself a world of a messy cleanup in spring and might lose your fish. My first pond was under a big Maple tree and while it is not a fun chore, it is definitely doable.Make sure the pond is deeper than 18 inches where you live to assure the fish being able to survive. I like your idea about using the existing stone wall as the backdrop for the stream/pond. You might be able to find one of those fountain heads that spit water and try to attach it to the wall. You also must plan for electricity but you could if need be run wire in a pvc pipe from an existing outdoor plug. Just make sure it is ground fault surge protected near the water feature.

Ask a Question