Would this work?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fernwood your referring to are not as reliable as is a threaded union. On a small garden pond I'd see no problem but on a 4 foot deep design it's Unions all the way.
If you pump is below water level ball valves are crucial if not two from the pond toward the pump incase one gets clogged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's nice that you already have the equipment. That's a major leg up.

My pond has an aerated bottom drain and water is drawn from there and from the skimmer. Those 2 pipes are joined right before they get to the pump. Then the water can go either through a series of UV lights, or those can be bypassed. Then it goes to a large pressure filter and back out to the top of a waterfall where it runs back into the pond. We haven't used the UV lights for a few years now, so the water goes right from the pump to the filter.

The skimmer is directly across the pond from the waterfall. There is also a float switch in the skimmer that will cut the pump off if the water level happens to fall to a certain level. That should keep the pond from getting pumped dry if there is some diversion of water somewhere.

The filtration system is in our garage and there is limited space there. So it's pretty well packed in. This is how it looks:

IMG_20210411_171839800.jpg

Pipe from the bottom drain is on the right in the picture. Pipe from the skimmer in is the middle, and the pipe next to the filter is the return to the pond.

Hope that is of some help. My nudge would be that I wouldn't have a pond without a bottom drain, but that's my preference. It certainly is not everyone's and we are all entitled to our own ways of doing things. As long as it works for you, it's all good.

This is also my first and only pond, so I've not done it any other way. I'm very pleased with the results, as are most people here with the choices they have made.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's nice that you already have the equipment. That's a major leg up.

My pond has an aerated bottom drain and water is drawn from there and from the skimmer. Those 2 pipes are joined right before they get to the pump. Then the water can go either through a series of UV lights, or those can be bypassed. Then it goes to a large pressure filter and back out to the top of a waterfall where it runs back into the pond. We haven't used the UV lights for a few years now, so the water goes right from the pump to the filter.

The skimmer is directly across the pond from the waterfall. There is also a float switch in the skimmer that will cut the pump off if the water level happens to fall to a certain level. That should keep the pond from getting pumped dry if there is some diversion of water somewhere.

The filtration system is in our garage and there is limited space there. So it's pretty well packed in. This is how it looks:

View attachment 137816

Pipe from the bottom drain is on the right in the picture. Pipe from the skimmer in is the middle, and the pipe next to the filter is the return to the pond.

Hope that is of some help. My nudge would be that I wouldn't have a pond without a bottom drain, but that's my preference. It certainly is not everyone's and we are all entitled to our own ways of doing things. As long as it works for you, it's all good.

This is also my first and only pond, so I've not done it any other way. I'm very pleased with the results, as are most people here with the choices they have made.

Wow, love it. Thanks, WaterGardener, that's really helpful

Kindest regards

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fernwood your referring to are not as reliable as is a threaded union. On a small garden pond I'd see no problem but on a 4 foot deep design it's Unions all the way.
If you pump is below water level ball valves are crucial if not two from the pond toward the pump incase one gets clogged.

Ah Ok, thanks GBBUDD, Really appreciate your advice, I will heed it.

Keith

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry not fern wood damn spell check Fernco

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm using one of those Fernco rubber couplings. It's held up for a year out in the weather, but I'm second guessing myself so I bought a PVC union to replace it. No telling when that rubber is going to pop!

Reaction score
my 2c: i have a bottom drain that goes to an external pump that has a leaf filter before it.
That leaf filter does capture a lot of stuff in it... i did not have a skimmer... but have since added one of those floating skimmers and now that catches a lot of that stuff, but if you have any kind of trees or neighbors that have trees or have any chance of wind blowing stuff, i suggest adding a skimmer and the drain.
If you do go that route of drain to external pump - add a check valve... dont be like me and stuck with no check valve and having to figure out how to do that now - it will help with any time you have to stop the pump and you wont have to sit and prime the external pump.

I do also have a small submersible pump that i am trying for something else (going to feed to an external elevated type bog that i will make soon), but i did the submersible pump and all in one filters etc. They are a pain and a mess... and as you get older you will appreciate not having to have things in the pond you have to pull out later...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As far as the fernco couplings are concerned, I have been using them on my filters for over 20 years and some of them are over 15 years old. I even have a 90° one that has been on my filter for over 15 year. Never had one fail!
BTW- 2 above ground koi ponds totalling almost 10,000 gallons- no bottom drains, no skimmers and no waterfalls other than water returning from filters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my 2c: i have a bottom drain that goes to an external pump that has a leaf filter before it.
That leaf filter does capture a lot of stuff in it... i did not have a skimmer... but have since added one of those floating skimmers and now that catches a lot of that stuff, but if you have any kind of trees or neighbors that have trees or have any chance of wind blowing stuff, i suggest adding a skimmer and the drain.
If you do go that route of drain to external pump - add a check valve... dont be like me and stuck with no check valve and having to figure out how to do that now - it will help with any time you have to stop the pump and you wont have to sit and prime the external pump.

I do also have a small submersible pump that i am trying for something else (going to feed to an external elevated type bog that i will make soon), but i did the submersible pump and all in one filters etc. They are a pain and a mess... and as you get older you will appreciate not having to have things in the pond you have to pull out later...
thanks for the info Jmajid, very useful,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as the fernco couplings are concerned, I have been using them on my filters for over 20 years and some of them are over 15 years old. I even have a 90° one that has been on my filter for over 15 year. Never had one fail!
BTW- 2 above ground koi ponds totalling almost 10,000 gallons- no bottom drains, no skimmers and no waterfalls other than water returning from filters.
Thanks for the info Mrsclem, good to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ah! Good to know!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the fernco couplings also, left out in the sun, left out in the winter and they still are doing great. No fear in using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest Threads