Yellow Bellied Slider Needs A Friend...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a yellow bellied slider turtle. She is alone in a 40 Gallon tank. I've been thinking about finding her a tank mate. Everything I've heard points to her probably eating whatever I put in there with her. But then I thought if I got a koi fish that is on the big side, it would be good big for her to eat. I'm torn as to what to do. Leave her alone in her tank? Or buy a bigger koi in hopes she leaves it alone and has a buddy in there with her?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
giphy11.gif

Don't get a Koi...a 40 gallon tank is much too small for a Koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Psk8684
How about another turtle?

Thank you for the welcome :)
I thought about that. But my worry is that she's been alone her entire life and I've read introducing turtles can be very touch and go. She's not an aggressive turtle. But I'd hate to get another turtle and she hurt it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's my girl sunbathing on her large size zoomed dock. Should give you an idea of her size.
I would probably have to upgrade the tank size in order to introduce another turtle of comparable size.

Attachments

• IMG_20170322_205828968.jpg
    IMG_20170322_205828968.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 504

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My friend up the road has several rescue red eared slider turtle's from people who decided they didn't want them anymore. They all get along fine. Do you know anyone else that has turtles that you might have them bring over and introduce to your turtle to see how she likes it? Yep you'd prolly have to find one about the same size as yours. My friend has to bring hers indoors in winter and puts them in a spare bathtub w/heat lights. In Summer she brings them outdoors into a big huge above ground pool w/floating driftwood. They love it! Eventually she is going to finish a stream and turtle area that connect to her koi pond. Turtles won't get to go in the koi pond tho. They will have their own separate area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I'm the only shell baby mother I know. My ex had a slightly bigger red ear slider and we planned to eventually put them together in a huge, multi tank turtle sanctuary. But that's never going to happen now.

I keep her indoors year around. I don't have my own place yet. So the upgrading of tanks is kind of limited.

I don't want to do anything irrational. So I'm getting my information now. She just looks lonely. Trying to figure something out to help her be a happy girl.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like you will just have to wait till you have more room for another turtle. Then there is no guarantee that they will get along or if they will continue to get along. I read that the more space they have the better so they can get away from each other if needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm, okay. More to think about. But at least now I can develop a plan to make it happen! Thank you for the advice!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marshall Can you help out?

From what I just read, sliders are gregarious [they like friends, but turtle friends, not fishy friends] but they're also territorial..... That sounds contradictory, but I guess the size of the habitat/tank would matter. This might sound crazy, but you could place a mirror on the outside of the tank and tape it in place. Leave it for a while and watch for a reaction from your girl. If she acts aggressive, maybe another turtle isn't a good idea. But if she acts interested or doesn't react at all, maybe she would tolerate a tank buddy [in a larger tank].

A few questions: how big is your current turtle; how do you have the tank set up? Can you post some pictures showing the entire tank?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Glad you are trying to help your lonely looking turtle.

Ask a Question