Yellow iris drying up

Reaction score
Have had yellow iris in the perimeter of my small pond for years. Suddenly it is drying up! Also lost a couple of goldfish... have no idea what happened. Any ideas what might have happened and how to fix the problem?
Have a working waterfall.... and treat with a water clarifier as needed. Have new baby goldfish that seem to be thriving. No idea what has happened to the iris.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
HI Sandi - a few more details would help. How big is your pond? How many fish? Where is the iris planted - in or near the pond? You said "perimeter" but does that mean outside or inside the liner? And a few pictures would be great too!

Reaction score
HI Sandi - a few more details would help. How big is your pond? How many fish? Where is the iris planted - in or near the pond? You said "perimeter" but does that mean outside or inside the liner? And a few pictures would be great too!
Thanks... uploading a quick shot I just took... iris on the right side rooted in the pond. Fish? Only babies now... maybe 8 or so. Adult fish are gone. Pond about 8x10. Hope that helps.
pondirisJuy18.JPG
pondirisJuy18.JPG pondirisJuy18.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sure is drying up. Did something shift? make the roots not hit the water anymore?

Nice pond!

Reaction score
It sure is drying up. Did something shift? make the roots not hit the water anymore?

Nice pond!

Thanks. No, even though the temperature has been consistently VERY hot, the roots are still in the water. I'm mystified... and am cleaning up the remains to see if I can notice any particular damage or disease. This particular plant has "sired" many offshoot plants that I've put in other spots in the yard... that are doing well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know you say the roots are still in the water, but have they always been so visible? Mine are IN the water, as in you'd need a scuba mask to see the roots. The only part that's visible is the crown and leaves.

But maybe it was just it's time to go. I know we think of perennials as forever plants, but sometimes the main plant does die off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I agree with Lisak1. It may just be that your Iris have reached the end of their life span. If you have iris in other places around your pond and they are do well then I would guess that old age is the problem.
You could test your water, but if something drastic were wrong I would expect other plants in or around the pond to be effected.
Personally when in doubt fertilize. One of the folks on the forum recommended Jode spikes to me. I have found the miracle grow spikes work just as good.
I use them on all my plants in and around the pond. Put a couple around a lily tuber and just sit back and watch the magic.

Ask a Question