sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats the part I don't understand I never had a uv and not sure it would be worth the money ,But some buy them to help with algae and yet why are there ponds with algae why and what causes it in some ponds and not others .Some say it's because the pond is in full sun others say no .Yet heres my pond and it has been in full sun for over 5 years .why is the big question what happens to cause algae ,my pond has 12 fish also and I feed them and all the rain we are getting here lately you would think algae ,but no

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
27goldfish said:
I have koi, that may be a problem :(

I think it was ginger_biscut (? name lol) that posted about peroxide and koi, that it did not bother them.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i too dont think your water looks to bad ... liners are meant to have green on them, its a pretty new pond yes ? i think it will improve with time, weekly water changes would also help :0)

Reaction score
No, the pond itself is over 1 - 11/2 yrs old. The water is kinda rough. I cannot see my fish when they go into the 3 ft section. They disappear into an abyss:(

Reaction score
1 1/2 years old is still new. I've seen an incredible transformation of my frog puddle over the last 5 years. Just imagine a burnt forest regenerating and how the species change over time. At first it's the sunlovers and then they die when the new trees block their light. Deer would not show up till something was over 5 feet tall, etc.

Reaction score
I'll try to get a sample from the lowest tier of pond tonight. Wife won't be happy though. I will be using one of our glasses for the dinner table :0

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
27goldfish said:
I have two uv lights, one build into a pressurized filter and another on that is a stand alone. Both are still lighting up.
U.V bulbs are good for 8 months continous use, at that point they start to steadily lose their ability to burn or bleach out the chloraphil in the algea, and are pretty much useless at 11 months ...figuring how many years you get from a bulb is that easy..if you only use the U.V for 4 months you should be good for 2 years.etc.. i use mine 10 days tops. ive used the same bulb for 4 years...never see green water once my fish are outside. i'm replacing the bulb this year because i have them. at a price of 2 for $12.00 on eBay...thats an expence i can live with, $6.00 every 4 years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
27goldfish I gonna tel your wife shame on you .I have a glass and other stuff I bought at the dollar store for my pond .

Ask a Question