Zero experience, planning a small pond this summer!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yo Rinny........German Shepard's are a beautiful breed. We had one once many yrs ago......her name was Hominy Grits :)
Animal lover here too. We've had everything from a seagull to lizards and lots in-between :lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Erin. I have goldfish also. I think they are a smart choice for a small pond (under 1000 gallons).

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
j.w said:
Yo Rinny........German Shepard's are a beautiful breed. We had one once many yrs ago......her name was Hominy Grits :lol:
Animal lover here too. We've had everything from a seagull to lizards and lots in-between :lol:

We have 4 indoor cats, a GSD, a Belgian Malinois, and a Yorkie. :) Also a couple exotic birds. :)

sissy said:
so next is the slime coated kind LOL

Exactly. I want a turtle too. lol

CometKeith said:
Welcome Erin. I have goldfish also. I think they are a smart choice for a small pond (under 1000 gallons).

I have seen pictures of the Comets and I think they are awesome looking as well. I think that's what I will end up getting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Animal lover here too. What kind of birds to you have? We have a Goffins Cockatoo, her name is Gabby and she lives up to it!! Love her to pieces!!

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
riparks said:
Animal lover here too. What kind of birds to you have? We have a Goffins Cockatoo, her name is Gabby and she lives up to it!! Love her to pieces!!

A few Budgies, a Green Cheek Conure, and a White Bellied Caique. :lol: My dream birds are a Sun Conure, Painted Conure, Blue Crown Conure, African Grey, and Eclectus. If only I could handle living with and taking care of all of them! I'm already worried about my Caique when we have a baby in the future, I'm afraid it wont work out because she screams when my Husband walks in from work and when I use the blow dryer, lol. Great personality, she just reacts to noises (like right this moment she is going nuts because my Husband is vaccuuming in another part of the house) and with a newborn I don't know how that will work. My GCC is quiet as a mouse.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have cut down on animals at our home as DH has just retired and we only have our two indoor/outdoor cats and the one very old feral cat I rescued over 15yrs ago. When it gets too cold I have to catch her and bring her into my computer room to stay warm.The rest of the time she lives outdoors but DH made an insulated house for her up on a table on our covered porch. Oh and I have one 12" Pleco in an aquarium but he's looking for a new home soon and then of course I have my goldies out in the pond. We have enough wild critters to enjoy out here in the woods to keep us happy for now.
squirrel2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I love Budgies, very smart little fellows. I would also love to have an African Grey, maybe one day. Gabby was rehomed to us, I don't know why her previous owners gave her to us. She is not much of a screamer, a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the evening. She loves to play with her toys and is very social. Kinda scared of new things. She also understands several words and can respond. She's a hoot.

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
j.w said:
We have cut down on animals at our home as DH has just retired and we only have our two indoor/outdoor cats and the one very old feral cat I rescued over 15yrs ago. When it gets too cold I have to catch her and bring her into my computer room to stay warm.The rest of the time she lives outdoors but DH made an insulated house for her up on a table on our covered porch. Oh and I have one 12" Pleco in an aquarium but he's looking for a new home soon and then of course I have my goldies out in the pond. We have enough wild critters to enjoy out here in the woods to keep us happy for now.
squirrel2.gif

Very understandable, we haven't even started our family yet so we have plenty of furry kids!

riparks said:
I love Budgies, very smart little fellows. I would also love to have an African Grey, maybe one day. Gabby was rehomed to us, I don't know why her previous owners gave her to us. She is not much of a screamer, a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the evening. She loves to play with her toys and is very social. Kinda scared of new things. She also understands several words and can respond. She's a hoot.

You're very lucky, those 'Too's can be something else! I love the budgies too, they are funny, but it is the little Green Cheek that is my favorite. He is such a ham and so adorable. He loves me to death, and is so sweet. My Caique has a great disposition, but Caique's are just different, I'd never dream of cuddling her, although I can do absolutely anything I want to her... she is just not cuddly. :lol: I just love animals, I love learning about them and enjoying their presence in our life. I can't wait for our pond to be started!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Erin if you can we'd love to watch the progress of your pond build so post lots of pictures and it gives others ideas on what different things they can do w/ their ponds :lol:

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
j.w said:
Erin if you can we'd love to watch the progress of your pond build so post lots of pictures and it gives others ideas on what different things they can do w/ their ponds :lol:

Oh don't worry. I love being behind the camera. :fish: I wish we could start like NOW, but we have to wait until our fence is done because I don't want to deal with the city if they have something to say when they are out for the fence. I also need an outlet installed out there, but we have the electrician thing covered. We are pulling the permit for our fence on Monday!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rintintin, If you are thinking of comets you should look into sarasa comets. They are really pretty and a lot of them have long tails. You can also mix shubunkins in with them too. Shubunkins have calico colors and come in a lot of different color combinations. There are some other interesting goldfish that would mix in with these like wakin and watonai. These are harder to find and generally more expensive. You definitely want to stay away from fancy goldfish like ryukin, oranda ,lionheads, bubble-eyes etc because these don't mix well with the faster fish and have a harder time competing for food. Also they have difficulty surviving really cold temperatures. Good luck with your pond!

Ask a Question