First feeding of the herd

Reaction score
Very nice!

Is spring really here??
Do you think it's too early for me to feed my fish? Water temps are in the high 50's low 60's. What happens if the temps drop too low? I doesn't look like that's going to happen though. The lowest I see is 47* next week.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fed mine, if I feed them at all it will be little bits every few days and just wheat germ. They have been snacking on plants for a few months now and whatever else gets into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My water temps were 60 yesterday and the fish were very active, coming to the surface eating little bugs and such. They are so cute and happy! I love my fishies!

I have never fed them before because I heard it helps to keep the pond clean and it prevents the pond from becoming over stocked. But... I think I might feed them just on special occassions this year. :) My pond is big enough and I don't have a lot of fish and I have great filtration now so I think it would be nice for them and me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have so many pregnant fish, but still have a lot of water room. They will get fed, but not a whole lot. The babies from last year are darn pretty, so it would be nice to have some survive this year.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Love your pictures.. it's so nice to get things going again. We turned on the pump (and falls) this week. The water was 62 on Friday, so I fed them a tiny bit. They gobbled it right up! All fish accounted for! The fish we discovered last fall is a little bigger now, and has turned from brown to amber. We also have a green frog basking in the cool spring sunshine. It's supposed to get to the high 70s this week, so will be adding beneficial bacteria to the bio-filter.

Ask a Question