Galvanized Tank Problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help, I really need help with a problem with my galvanized feeding trough. I purchased it one year ago from Tractor Supply and it is 50 gallon. I couldn't keep goldfish alive in it for more than two weeks. I decided it was the zinc in the water so I bought Pond Shield - non toxic and painted the whole inside. Put my Lowes Pebbles and aquarium blue rocks in it and filled it up. Bought 5 new fish to try out and they all died within three days. I have a filter systems. I tested the ph in the water and it was between 7 & 8. We are on a well and our water has rust in it so we have an elaborate filter system for the house water. Could this be the problem. I also have filter in my pond. Please tell me what to do. My husband had an ugly black ground insert tank on the porch with very healthy fish in it when we got married. I hated it and being the decorator freak I am, decided to go with the galvanized. BAB IDEA. I need your help please!!!!!!!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
bi-plane_e0.gif

It is probably not the trough, but the water conditions that are causing your fish to die within a few weeks. You don't mention any water testing. Were you testing the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Did you cycle the trough before adding the fish? Ammonia levels will climb very fast in an uncycled pond of 50 gallons with a handful of goldfish. 50 gallons does not leave much room for error. While zinc is poisonous to fish, the ammonia would probably kill them faster.

You could try starting all over by using something like Pond Armor (http://www.pondarmor.com/) (or putting a liner in the tank if you like the trough look on the outside) and then cycling the pond before adding fish back in 1 or 2 at a time.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that was what I was thinking to hot and lack of oxygen .Get a dollar store thermometer to get temps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the input. The tank is on my covered outdoor porch and stays cool all the time. I have a filter system in the tank and used the non-toxic pond sealer and it went on beautifully. It seems that the one thing I haven't tried is the ammonia testing. That is my next step. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I so want this to work!!! Thanks to all for answering so quickly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have plants in it as they help eat up ammonia and also help the fish and do you have an aerator .You can get small ones at petco or petsmart and even some walmarts carry them .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you sealed the pond before you set it up and it is not getting too hot, my guess is excessive ammonia.

Ask a Question