New pond build and landscaping started

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 7 years of working on the house we have finally started on the back garden. We intend to landscape part of it and add a new pond with a bog filter.

birds eye.png

This is the vision, it's around 22000ltrs concrete block walls with a depth of 1350mm, two bottom drains, feeding into a pre strainer and then into the bog. The bog has soakaway crates at the bottom to form a water reservoir and then around 600mm of gravel and pebbles on top.

So day one, the before shot.

IMG20240304090712.jpg

The start of day three.

IMG20240306090146.jpg

You can just see the extent of the pond marked out, but as you can see there is a lot of hard landscaping to do.

And no, I don't have a football pitch in my garden, that's the field next door.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After 7 years of working on the house we have finally started on the back garden. We intend to landscape part of it and add a new pond with a bog filter.

View attachment 162131
This is the vision, it's around 22000ltrs concrete block walls with a depth of 1350mm, two bottom drains, feeding into a pre strainer and then into the bog. The bog has soakaway crates at the bottom to form a water reservoir and then around 600mm of gravel and pebbles on top.

So day one, the before shot.

View attachment 162132

And no, I don't have a football pitch in my garden, that's the field next door.

THAT'S SOCCAR FIELD.

Not sure what that planter is along the side but if you made that as hydroponics rock / peastone and veggies you'll be amazed how fast they grow

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THAT'S SOCCAR FIELD.

Not sure what that planter is along the side but if you made that as hydroponics rock / peastone and veggies you'll be amazed how fast they grow
Soccer, football who care, rugby the sport ;). The area is just a wet planting area, i'll an old pond liner under it, to retain some water in the soil, then plant some large wet ground loving plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Soccer, football who care, rugby the sport ;). The area is just a wet planting area, i'll an old pond liner under it, to retain some water in the soil, then plant some large wet ground loving plants
If your that wet are you building French drains under your pond ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your that wet are you building French drains under your pond ?
No it was just an idea left over from when I was thinking about using a rdf. I was going to put the wash off water in here to grow the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a high water table stick a couple piles down to the bottom some holes in the sides or just an open pipe at the bottom in some stone could be a life saver. Better to have something and not need it then need it and not have it. Admittedly I did nothing but my spil is high and dry and drains well

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cool . Construction day..... take lots of photos tell the Mrs take both photos and videos . Maybe set up a time lapse a photo every couple minutes . Enjoy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First bit of foundation going in.
IMG20240308155428.jpg

I really need to start buying the pipe and fittings, but I keep looking at different options :unsure:

I found somewhere selling PVC flexible hose relativity cheaply, I won't use it for the bottom drains, but it may be a good option for the return jets.

I've also came across a good article about bending PVC pipes instead of very expensive swept 90 bends. I have made the odd vacuum adapter by heating up pvc pipes in the past but never bends, I have also bent and shaped copper pipe, it can't be that hard..... :rolleyes:

And 3 way ball valves...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like the water table is rather high like you had mentioned, don't underestimate water a high water table below a pond or pool can easily lift a lot of weight and destroy a fixture at the drop of a hat. . i saw ca pool decades ago that was 8" out of the ground it had been lifter by ground water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like the water table is rather high like you had mentioned, don't underestimate water a high water table below a pond or pool can easily lift a lot of weight and destroy a fixture at the drop of a hat. . i saw ca pool decades ago that was 8" out of the ground it had been lifter by ground water
IT's actually not as it looks, that is just some water siting on the concrete. Water did come in to the foundation trench, but only an inch or so, I will keep an eye on it and worst case, I'll just make the pond a little shallower.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Asimple solution is open pipe or two to the underside of the pond. path of least resistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asimple solution is open pipe or two to the underside of the pond. path of least resistance
So just a perorated pipe just under the liner , that runs up so water can discharge somewhere out of the way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So just a perorated pipe just under the liner , that runs up so water can discharge somewhere out of the way?
YUP ITS BETER THAN nothing , and it gives you an easier option to fix if the water becomes a problem latter. They do sell flat drainage tile WHICH IS BY FAR BETTER BUT ITS THE SAME PRINCIPLE

Ask a Question