Old Hot Tub trying to be a garden/goldfish pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spent a day cutting off the air/water pipes' connections and then put, (over two days), three layers of fiberglass over each hole, both INSIDE and OUTSIDE. six layers each. ZZZZZZZZ
We (me and my wife) dug a hole to fit the hexagonal tub (irregular in form) into....Then we filled it and noticed that water we put in drained out into the surrounding earth that we had sunk it into. SO... then we knew that the water was exiting out of at least ONE of the top six fiberglassed holes.
NEXT?... we sucked the water out to below the six presumed offending holes. NEXT... we attempted to paint roof tar over those holes. WATER kept running back into the (let's call it a "pond") through what seemed to be two small holes through the former water pipe holes, which keeps the tar from setting up.
NOW, we see water coming through almost ALL of the six pipe holes.
OUR NEXT MOVE is going to be lining the entire "pond" with a couple layers of recycled vinyl billboard sign and tucking the excess under the lip (which goes all the way around the six-sided contrivance).
OH, Lordy, Lordy, have mercy on me.
I cannot think of another solution... I thought the tar would harden, but as long as water is seeping back into the "pond", it will never set up.
I wish I had never put the tar on, then I would have had a few other stop-gap measures to attempt.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the forum! We've had other members post with their frustrations at dealing with fiberglass conversions. Have you done a search to see what sealants work best with fiberglass?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group.

My best hole sealing was done with pl roofing goop. I put a hole in the side on my 1000 gallon stock tank with my back hoe, when i moved it.
I took a piece of liner smeared pl over and in the hole stuck a piece of liner over it smashed it down. Did the same on the outside. Also cut a bigger piece of liner and put it over the first piece well gooped up. 5 years later still holding. It does need to be dry to stick well. Also helps to rough up the surface.

Reaction score
I would pull the hot tub out and dig the pond to the shape I wanted it then do the EPDM. No matter what the EPDM will be bigger than the tub so you might as well use it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
EPDM is pond liner - not sure what it stands for either, but it's the gold atandard in liners. Rubbery, flexible, durable. You could line your tub with it and never have to worry about a leak again.

shellena

I can always figure out how to figure it out!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
I turned my fiberglass hot tub into my pond but I left it above the ground and didn't fill the holes in! And no liner either. 7 years later still going strong! I am moving and going to build a huge deep in ground pond with 45 mil rubber! With these bad fires all my man power and machinery are out on the Monterey fire. With all the baby fry we are going to need a second hole and we haven't even broke ground for the first one yet!' I do know with this heat I'm going to go deep! Like 4ft deep! I wish you would have had the info to dig hole and use a liner first before u set hottub into ground ! Good luck! Oh and remember this is suppose to be a fun relaxing hobby! Ya right! Lol

Ask a Question