Pond Redo- need help with some DIY filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
disclaimer, I have never installed a bottom drain.
Neither have I. The drain I am using is for the skippy filter since a 4" inch flange was way too big for the container I am using as the filter its self. Wasn't confident enough to install a bottom drain. As nice as that would have been, I couldn't do it :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww for a skippy thingie................ I have used 2 inch shower drains, gooped the poo out of them with water proof silcone, tightened up, never have leaked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey everyone, new here but not new ponds.

I have some questions. I am redoing my 10X10 pond. Little under 3' deep but I will be redigging it to be be 3' deep. My pond sprung a semi slow leak but haven't been able to take care of it due to winter weather/snow. I have to refill or top it off frequently. Too frequently.

The current inhabitants are some Koi and Goldfish, a couple native Nevada Tahoe suckers and a 9" red earred slider.

The question I really have is regarding the Skippy DIY filter. Been wanting to do this for a few years but was afraid to mess around the pond. Well now the time has come. Unfortunately I can't find any decent youtube or image illustrations on how to accomplish this. I get the concept and want to incorporate it into a waterfall. My current waterfall is really garbage in design and prone to leaking. This is my opportunity in the coming weeks, once it stops snowing a bit to get this accomplished.
So where can I find a decent illustration of putting this together? I want to see what works. Also hard plumbing it, what is the best way to go about it. I have winters/freezes here in Northern Nevada. 4" of the snow as I write. Also what kind of tub could I use aside from a rubbermaid stock tank- an inexpensive alternative? They all seem to hover around a couple hundred bucks or is this unavoidable? I have to buy a new waterfall pump (suggestions on size and type accepted), the one I had took a crap during the summer, impeller shaft shattered. New liner is already here, .45 mil EPDM Firestone liner this time.

I would like to correct some of my original mistakes but would not like to break the bank. Already 400 in with the liner. The pump is gonna cost so I am trying to reduce material costs on the filter-stock tank if possible.

Please don't flame, I will certainly entertain all ideas. Not trying to be cheap, just trying to save some money doing this redo.

Thanks in advance
How big a filter are you trying to make I order food storage tubs from websterant.com they are made to take temps from like -30 to +140 i ordered 2 with lids 18by24by15 I think around sixty bucks.they have other sizes the white ones I ordered are fairly thick and durable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
How big a filter are you trying to make I order food storage tubs from websterant.com they are made to take temps from like -30 to +140 i ordered 2 with lids 18by24by15 I think around sixty bucks.they have other sizes the white ones I ordered are fairly thick and durable
Well I went with smaller since my pond is actually closer to 8.5' x 8.5'. I had forgotten we had to reduce the size due to finding water irrigation pipes when digging. I went with a Husky tub. Seems thick and I put water through it already to see how well it holds. Not sure how well it will hold with temps that do get below freezing here.
It's currently a 27 gal tub. Since the pond is 8.5'X8.5'x40", around 1500 gallons. I am hoping that would be sufficient. Ideally I want to also install a bog but that won't be till next year now. Getting too late here to start one since I am still trying to finish this pond redo. Plus I need to purchase new plants in and out and trees to go around the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I haven't read every reply so I may be repeating and I don't know if it's way too late but I just used a $15 garbage can to make my filter same principle as the stock tank ones. My pump is in the skimmer (made from a 5 gal pail. ) Pushes the water from skimmer to top of garbage can filter.. flow is directed to bottom of garbage can via PVC pipe and swirled as it comes out.. water is filtered on the trip back up to the top of garbage can and out two holes near the top that then feed the waterfall into the bog garden and from there over spills back into the main pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Skippy filter has been up and running for some time but the pond is still green even with bog and tons of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
How long is "some time". It's not unusual for a pond to take weeks to clear.
Good question. Mid april. Bog has been in since early May. It looked like it was starting to clear up and then boom, got worse. I just let it be. I don't do anything to it. I have Iris, hyacinth and lilies growing in the Skippy and in the bog have creeping jenny, iris, micro cat tail, arrow grass, canna lily, horsetails, elephant ears growing in the bog.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Give it time. My pond greened up in late March. Just cleared this weekend. Pond is 10x10x5.5. 6 waterlilies in hanging baskets for plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Give it time. My pond greened up in late March. Just cleared this weekend. Pond is 10x10x5.5. 6 waterlilies in hanging baskets for plants.
Of course. Mine is 8.5X 8.5X 40in deep. Have no choice but to wait it out and hope It clears up

Ask a Question