Re- homed koi to a dedicated koi guy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had made mention at a online koi sale I had some koi to rehome. This guy said he would take them . I saw his pond and it was the typical raised pond no rock. But he came out for some free fish. A dedicated koi guy i could see he was not happy at first when he found out that my pond was by bog. That is until he kept looking around. It became obvious after a short while he was in awe of the "garden pond toilet bowl." I could see when he first saw the pond he was in question. The closer he got the more he walked around the more he looked like a 10 year old looking at the moss and plants, water quality etc.
I had spent the day vacuuming out the leaves and stirring up the pond, it was hardly at its best.
Even with everything gone into dormancy he asked if he could take a video and a couple photos . I told he he would be the first who didn't If he had not. it was kinda nice saying see i told yea so without saying see i told you so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am actually thinking of adding a mechanical filter to the pond. not sure if I'm going to add a sponge filter or if i will add a bead filter. Firm believer it's very hard to over filter a fish area. especially koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I am actually thinking of adding a mechanical filter to the pond. not sure if I'm going to add a sponge filter or if i will add a bead filter. Firm believer it's very hard to over filter a fish area. especially koi
Wasn't there a GPF "bar bet" that your "I'm finished" wouldn't last long? I'm teasing you - everything you've done has made your pond even more perfect. (and I know I haven't put up any pictures of my pond. some day!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wasn't there a GPF "bar bet" that your "I'm finished" wouldn't last long? I'm teasing you - everything you've done has made your pond even more perfect. (and I know I haven't put up any pictures of my pond. some day!)
I guess we should or " I " should stop looking at it as a project and more like a living being. It is growing day by day and like a family at different times has different requirements and needs, and it is constantly evolving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah whats with that it's so easy to post pictures. Do you have a smart phone? if not I'm sure some youngster could do it for you with their eyes shut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Yeah whats with that it's so easy to post pictures. Do you have a smart phone? if not I'm sure some youngster could do it for you with their eyes shut
I'm committing you to loving my pond, no matter what! when I post pictures. I have an average iPhone, but an above average amount of resistance before the "I should clean that up and this out and level the border and.. and.. before I take pictures". Soon. Yes, soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's to the folks who come in asking for assistance. Yes i may see something that might become a problem latter on but its not meant to be harmful, but i am well aware words in text can be interpreted completely different from there intent

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was kicked off Koiphen for my rocked in, gravel bottom pond. "It'll never work!" Well here I am, 12 years later. Still loving my pond.

@GBBUDD did you know which fish you were willing to part with, or did you let him choose?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was kicked off Koiphen for my rocked in, gravel bottom pond. "It'll never work!" Well here I am, 12 years later. Still loving my pond.

@GBBUDD did you know which fish you were willing to part with, or did you let him choose?
OH HELL NO , I HAVE SOME FISH I'D NEVER LET SOMEONE HAVE THAT CHOICE damn caps . he got what i was willing to part with and that i could catch. i gave him two that were born in the pond. and a third was one of three stubby koi i got from a pet store of all places. The one i caught was number two id part with not my first choice but i let it go. i love the short body long fins . but like koi pen they have their criteria a koi must meet whether or not its a gorgeous fish or not. there are 5 id like to pull out that i have yet to catch so that makes 9 fish ive got new homes for this year. usually if its a larger fish its the aggressive males that get the axe . rehomed

Ask a Question