.060 edpm roofing membrane for a pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why is it that almost every pond I have seen built has used 45 mil edpm ... why not use 60 or 90 for that matter especially if your placing rock inside the pond on the liner. Yes I see some place underlayment on top of the rubber under the stone. so why not go thicker to 60 mil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's been discussed before that the thicker liner is more difficult to manage with folds and so forth. Perhaps not as big of an issue in bigger ponds, but in your typical garden pond it might be cumbersome. Plus 45 mil is pretty tough stuff - any thicker is really overkill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what Lisa said...the cost of the liner was the largest material investment I made. 45 mil is fine, in most cases.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
unfortunately I know myself all to well. I also know edpm pretty well after being a general contractor for 25 years I always opted for 060 clearly a better product. And seeing as I will be building effectively stone walls within this liner mason hammer, grinder , trowels of all shapes and sizes, lowering 300 and 400 pound stones into the pond on the liner. even if placed on fabric on rubber on fabric. I know for a fact a couple roofs I did back in the 80's with 060 are still going strong. 090 I would have to agree with you there lisa that stuff does not like to "wrap" around angles well. I found 060 almost self sealing . but it's draw back is I believe 30 is it's widest. and I need 35 to 40 so i'd have to seem where I'm not worried about but its additional work and would have to set it up down the driveway on ply or boards.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You have way more experience with EPDM than I do, that's for sure! But I will tell you the strategies we used to protect our liner from heavy rocks.

1. we made sure there was no stress on the liner - never ever allow it to be pulled taut. Always allow a little slack, especially where there will be rocks (which in my pond was everywhere!) and

2. we used scrap pieces of underlayment and liner to move the big rocks and just set them down right on top of the scraps to add some additional padding. We also used granite boulders to rock the pond, so there were no sharp edges to worry about.

Seams scare me - but lots of people have done it successfully.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used Bend tarp and liner, some real tough stuff. A lot lighter in weight then epdm and does not get as slick.

Screenshot-2018-1-4 BTL-liners-Liner-Comparison-Chart-03 2014 pdf.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm leaning that way Lisa Looking at underlayment, rubber, underlayment. Then build the walls. I have built many a flat roof using edpm I just always opted for the 060. The 45 seemed cheap in comparison. I don't see any difference in roofing compared to pond liner other then if it has fire treating or an algaecide.

Addy I have seen and used RPE its a bit stiff I have some pretty sharp angles that are rounded . RPE'S most limited in these lines. addy do you go for a swim in your pond I read the bog post and I don't remember seeing that you do.

One trouble spot I'm seeing is having a main drain and 3/8 stone in the bog area of the pond. even placing some say 2" to 3" river rock will keep most of the 3/8 from being sucked in but it won't keep it all out. even keeping the space at 3/8" won't stop stones from working there way into the pipe. haven't found a strainer that will work with the MD aerator.
The helix SKIMMER is nice due to it's low profile of two inches the helix floating cup is a nice little trick but I don't like seeing into the skimmer and seeing a white or gray basket or plate. why aren't these black ? damn expensive plastic Tupperware bowl.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy do you go for a swim in your pond I read the bog post and I don't remember seeing that you do.
I am in the water a lot over the summer grooming the plants, not technically swimming. Too many lilies. The fish nibble on you constantly. Sort of tickles.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but I don't like seeing into the skimmer and seeing a white or gray basket or plate. why aren't these black ?
You can get that for plastic spray paint. I used it on my pvc pipes in the pond to blend them in. The paint is still doing great years later. HD and Lowes carry it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don’t know that I understand the issue completely but can you put the pipes open side down?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don’t know that I understand the issue completely but can you put the pipes open side down?
All of my pipes are open side down, bog pipes. I think a drain is being put into the bog, trying to keep the pea gravel out of it, I think..................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think I might be doing away with my liner this year and switching over to a bentonite clay mix.
That will allow me to properly plant some marginals in and around the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's what I was gathering, too... and since we both agree, we must be right! haha!
I was referring to putting a main drain in the pond. But I also plan on covering the rubber with shelves for a couple bogs at the sides of the pond that will have the pea stone. The main drain will without question have to deal with some pea stone. This will make its way to the bottom of the pond. The bottom drain will suck in the stone and may clog or restrict the flow as I plan on using a 4" line this will draw the water gently , but I doubt would be able to clear the line of stone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been reading a lot of posts the clay seems to be a nightmare for cloudy water as if disturbed it migrates in a big way it is so fine it can choke out o2 levels. make a flower box within the liner sorta speak and fill with the clay

Ask a Question