100 Gallon Balcony Pond Build Complete

Reaction score
I know some of you had your concerns about a pond this small, but it can be done. If you'll let me I'd like to keep you updated on the fish, water quality, and when I winter this "pond". I wasn't able to take pictures of the build process, but if you want to know how I made it, I'd be happy to tell you.

Outside Dimensions are 55" Long, 30" Wide and 22" Deep. It is approx. 115 US gallons.

There is currently about a 12" goldfish in there as well as 5 3-5" koi and 2 3" butterfly koi in the pond which I feed once daily. I have 3 large and 5 small hyacinth plants in there as well as 3 lillypad plants.

I am using a 1000 gallon rated filter with bio balls. I will wait and see how the water tests before deciding how many water changes that need to be done.

The bottom is bare, I decided on the no rocks method.

The water is crystal clear. Most photos were taken on a rainy day with my cellphone so they aren't the greatest.

946228_10152946349325537_4315704_n.jpg

945009_10152946352770537_62838965_n.jpg

1013049_10152946351645537_520785099_n.jpg

1017462_10152946351940537_571210299_n.jpg

1012620_10152946353030537_135767097_n.jpg

9036_10152946353280537_809491072_n.jpg

946220_10152946353500537_1659552093_n.jpg

I hope you enjoy, and I hope I gave you lots of information! If you have any questions, let me know. I am definitely not an expert, this is my first pond build ever. It will definitely not be my last. I can't wait to build a large pond in my back yard. :)

Thanks!

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes that is to many fish for that pond they will out grow that pond rather quickly plus it could be a health issue for them.

Another concern I have you say Balcony is that to say off the ground like 2 story's or more ?
Did you check with the city or builder on the construction of this balcony as that can be a lot of weight and cause a big problem.

but the pond looks nice
Ruben

Reaction score
shakaho said:
there's nothing wrong with a 100 gallon pond as long as you don't have more than 4 goldfish in there. The pond is pretty.
Did u read the part that said there is a one foot long goldfish and 7 Koi in there?
Yes it looks very nice but next post will be "why is my water green" and next one will be "why are my fish dying?"
Noone is trying to pick on the OP... This pond will be a grain wreck. Sorry.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hoping this is only a temporary "holding" place for your fish, right? You have over 800 lbs of water and wood on a balcony. Is the balcony constructed to handle that much weight? Also, balconies are exposed (as in, open to the elements = cold, freeze come winter). That would be enough to worry me, plus the water is under 2' deep which means it will probably freeze.

But I also have to agree that you have too many fish-inches for that size pond. Remember, it's not so much how MANY fish you have, it's their size that matters. And they grow! I recently quarantined 11 goldfish in an approx. 150 gal kiddie pool. I lost 2 of them to unknown causes. But during the 3 weeks they were in the QT, I was CONSTANTLY battling with high ammonia and nitrites. Check your water often. You may find yourself having to do lots of water changes, so keep that in mind and have plenty of de-chlorinator handy.

Here is a calculator to help figure how many fish a pond can safely hold.http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

Other than that, your pond looks nice.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I figured I would get the type of replies I did and I understand my pond isn't the norm. But it doesn't mean that it is impossible.

I just wanted to give you an update as promised. The first week I did lose 2 koi but I expected the loss because it was a new pond and I did not cycle it (I know this was my own mistake).

However, other then that the pond is doing exceptionally well.

I currently have one ~15" goldsifh, three 6-7" koi, and two 5" butterfly koi in the pond.

The hyacinths have all died off and the water lillies have taken over. It is quite beautiful.

I did a 20% water change when the 2 koi died. I have not done a water change since. I have cleaned the filter twice.

I feed the fish a small handful of food once a day.

If you have any questions let me know. Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Obviously I won't have five 2 foot long koi in a 100 gallon pond... I appreciate you asking before assuming, however. :) The koi will be moved into a larger pond when they outgrow this one.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It may be just me, but I wouldn't put fish into a new pond with the expectation of loss knowing water hasn't cycled and it is a real issue. For me, that's a callous way to treat life, but I won't go so far as to propose it's wrong... Just not something I would promote.

Reaction score
slakker said:
It may be just me, but I wouldn't put fish into a new pond with the expectation of loss knowing water hasn't cycled and it is a real issue. For me, that's a callous way to treat life, but I won't go so far as to propose it's wrong... Just not something I would promote.
Like I said before it was my mistake. I was always told it is normal to lose one or two fish with a new pond, am I wrong?

I plan on putting an airrater in the pond for the wintertime and see how it does. I will bring them in if problems occur.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi: You don't have a pond, but you have an outdoor aquarium!
Actually, I think the fish load is fine (except for the footer gf) if you have enough filtration and do enough water changes. I have always overstocked my pond, but I have massive filtration (at one time I had 5 homemade filters going at once), plus a lot of plants.

But I don't think you have enough biofiltration, hence the dead koi. What is the 1000g rated filter you are using and how many bioballs are in it? The bare bottom is a concern because tanks have at least 1lb of gravel for every g for 2-3" of gravel depth which is a humongous surface area for bacteria.

If your water hyacinths are dead, it could mean it's too cold already (since you are in Canada) and water lilies in no way have the filtering capacity of water hyacinths. That means you have lost a lot of filtration capacity. And now that cold weather is coming up, there may not be enough time for the tank to cycle before it's too cold.

As everyone has said, your pond is of concern.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Sarin said:
Like I said before it was my mistake. I was always told it is normal to lose one or two fish with a new pond, am I wrong?
Sorry you got that advice, but it guess it's still common. I keep coral reef systems and that is also advice I hear given a lot. To put a damsel fish in the tank to "cycle" it. In the reef system, the damsel either dies or is impossible to take out later (have to dismantle all the rock work and that starts a new cycle). And they are aggressive little buggers too and will bully or kill a lot of other fish! But I digress... :)

I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but there are very the few temperate climates here (I'm in the Vancouver area)... I think you will likely need a heater or you'll most definitely need to bring the fish indoors. Since the pond doesn't sit in the ground, you won't get any insulation or thermal benefits of the ground so will likely get too cold even if you can keep it from totally freezing with an aerator.

If you have to bring them in, you'll likely need to start preparing an indoor tank now with all the same mechanical and bio filtration needs to keep the fish happy.

Ask a Question