Above Ground 1000+ Gallons in 7 Containers + Barrel Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Different thats for sure but if it works it works dont change a thing lol, I had no idea what 1,000 galons looked like spread out over a small area pretty darn ool if you ask me .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
How many fish do you think you have in it currently? It looks like it is working really well, while you are getting the new one set up.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I don't know. There are 5 koi about 1.5 feet long. No idea on the goldfish.

We did a quick and dirty cull when we moved them from the pond, mostly the uncolored single tails. At sort point I want to start sorting and re-homing what I don't want to keep.

The Koi will be going to the last hole I dug as soon as we get the last of the lilies out of it. That should cut the load quite a bit.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
tazcat70 said:
It is crazy how much work you have done, it is a good thing it is a labor of love. :)
And remember there are two people involved. That helps a lot with the motivation for me. 'Sort of' quality time for the two of us.

Found these DIY water defussers in the plumbing parts so I added them to the inputs to the rectangular pond. It has too many lilies to do an effective aeration.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:55333]

My wife tripped yesterday while we were dividing lilies so she was out of action to day and maybe tomorrow. I started cleaning out the little old greenhouse to use as a fish house to rear spawns. It was stuffed full of junk so this is actually a major step.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:55334]

Still a long way to go but it is a start. This greenhouse used to be under computer control. The sun has cooked the clear PVC sheeting but it good enough for a fish house.

Attachments

• deffusers.jpg
    deffusers.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 310
  • oldgreenhouse.jpg
    oldgreenhouse.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I enjoyed those videos. Especially the lillys coming out of the pond. Did you have that system all thought out before you started or did you just keep adding??

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
When we moved the fish to this setup we culled the uncolored single tail fish, ones we were unsure of ended up in the rectangular stock tank. Today I moved them all to a 500g kitty pool so we could finish culling them. My gosh it was no wonder the filter could not keep up. I should have taken a picture but trust me there were a lot of fish. I kept the 25 best uncolored fantails, some come close to looking like orandas. : From the rest my wife put 50 or so she could not part with back into the same kitty pool. That should drop the bioload on the filter a lot. With luck I can stop the 2x a week water changes which were not enough anyway.

I am going to do some sorting on colored fish which are in the lifts. Maybe with better water and more food we can get some romance going. :)

Still have to deal with some sort of filtration for the 500 kitty pool.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"I am going to do some sorting on colored fish which are in the lifts. Maybe with better water and more food we can get some romance going. :)"

play some soft music lower the lights

Ask a Question