100 Gallon Balcony Pond Build Complete

Reaction score
JohnHuff said:
PETA is the biggest killer of strays.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
WOW! 2006 was a particularly bad year for pets at that PETA "shelter", 3061 pets received, only 12 adopted out, and 2,981 pets slaughtered. That's an average of 57 pets killed every week, someone must have been putting in some overtime, no wonder they need so much money.
That's some kind of animal "shelter". :skull:

Reaction score
crsublette said:
The implication and assumption that everything is going to be fine with their current methods and the defensiveness absolutely does indicate to me a statement of "see it works", that is at this moment.
And that is the problem. The OP can't be held responsible for people reading what they want to see.

@All..
Didn't have time or interest to read the rests of the posts. So sorry if anyone was expecting a reply to something. I'm just scanning for the OP's posts. I'm sure they were all delightful.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug said:
And that is the problem. The OP can't be held responsible for people reading what they want to see.

I'll be the first to say I am wrong, but you'll have to put a bit more effort into it. I know that's not how you prefer to do things due to your obvious one-liner, but, as I said, I am glad to be shown how I am wrong and will admit to being wrong if I am wrong. To be otherwise, it would be quite childish.

Now, if the owner continues doing what she is doing, as I have mentioned in post#57 as to how folk can claim it works at the moment, then, sure, I do not see anything wrong with the statement of saying, which implied or not, "see it works".

Folk have to be able to read between the lines. This is quite reasonable to do in many respects; it is unfortunate the reaction is to be defensive from folk that do not like to read the conclusions.

I am hopeful as well, but I am not going to allow my hope to blind me.

Reaction score
Sarin said:
I forgot to mention, I did add bacteria to the pond.
OK...that will kill all your fish!!!!

Kidding.

Sarin said:
I am close friends with the owners of a local pet store. I help out once in a while. They bring in thousands of koi every summer. They keep over 300 in a 300 gallon pond for weeks at a time and I assure you in the morning they are scooping no dead koi out of those ponds. They keep 5"-24" Koi and butterfly Koi.
Perhaps, but standard internet forum logic dictates correlation does imply causation. If a single example can be found, or rumored, it becomes a fact. Without this law of logic virtually all internet communication could not exist!

Almost every single thread uses this logic. And since I've seen this logic used I know it must make the logic valid. It's just simple logic. Very, very, simple.

Sarin said:
Canada isn't a block of ice, people.
So global warming is already taking its toll. You still eat mammoth though?

Sarin said:
If you allow me, I will report how everything goes.
Impressive moxy. I will scan for your posts. I'm sure at some point people will tire of telling you about certain doom.

Sarin said:
Also, you guys assume the hyacinths died due to poor water conditions. None of you asked why. We had a week of sudden cool weather, that's all.
Cold can be a problem. But also common is goldfish and Koi will nibble the roots and cause them to just kind of not grow, sicker and sicker. This seems to be hit and miss, some fish do, some don't. Possibly because of other food sources like algae in some ponds and not others. Unknown.

The experiment is to place a plant in a bucket by itself. If fish are the problem the one in the bucket will grow and those in the pond won't. If cold is the issue they all suffer. For future reference perhaps. And it's cool to see a big fast growing hyacinths. I only had sick ones for a few years until I lucked into fining this when I moved some into a tub and added a bunch of pot ash as people thought a lack of pot ash was the problem. Turned out it was just the fish.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Amazingly, with the angels coming down whispering to me in my ear, I actually completely agree with you Waterbug.

Looking forward to Sarin's update and more than willing to help to make it work!!!

Ask a Question