100% up and running

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got everything up and running. Fish are moving a bit more.

Here is my in line filters outlet approx 1800gph
View attachment 109101

Here is my little bubbler with the aeration behind it
View attachment 109102

Here is the stream with both pumps running approx 6800gph
View attachment 109103

My last 2 koi. The great blue heron nabbed a couple last year. I may get a yellow and black butterfly this year
View attachment 109104

Here are my goldfish. The great blue nabbed a couple of them last year too. But the way they breed it does not make a dent. They always take the better looking ones. I do not mind. They are only doing what they do.

View attachment 109105
Chootem lizbeth.....just kidding I just run fishing line around the pond for a couple weeks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Chootem lizbeth.....just kidding I just run fishing line around the pond for a couple weeks
@saugeye tom
I really do not mind if the Great Blue comes by, it is natural for them. I built the pond to attract wildlife and it does that and more so now that it is established. I have tons of fish and he can't get them all by the design. Not to say I am never happy when he they take my favorites (which I think they know which ones). Hawks eat the birds, frogs eat the fish eggs etc. Nature is just doing its thing.

Here is one of the bad guys that flew up in the tree when I came outside

Stalking our koi pond by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There is a couple who live in FL, who kept koi in a big way, dedicated koi ponds, major filtration etc. Then they built a home and natural pond ( in FL ) and put all their magnificent show koi in it. They have a young alligator who's made their pond his home and they'll post pictures of it feeding on koi food, along with their koi.

He says he's sure the gator gets an occasional koi, but they all live in harmony....it's pretty amazing!
attachment.php

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - I'm not so sure I'd be allowing a gator to live in my pond. Those things get big and are dangerous! And I would be willing to bet they won't have koi in their pond for very long! I love the wildlife my pond attracts, but I would draw the line at anything that would happily eat me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
OK - I'm not so sure I'd be allowing a gator to live in my pond. Those things get big and are dangerous! And I would be willing to bet they won't have koi in their pond for very long! I love the wildlife my pond attracts, but I would draw the line at anything that would happily eat me!
He says they're not opposed to relocating him humanely, but so far the local trappers they've contacted, destroy them :( Apparently it follows his wife and their kitty around their pond waiting to be fed :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Apparently it follows his wife and their kitty around their pond waiting to be fed
Oh, I bet he does! :jawdrop:

It seems sad that they have to be destroyed, but they have really become a hazard in Florida. They get way too comfortable around humans and the next thing you know they are snatching small children off of the beach.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
@saugeye tom
I really do not mind if the Great Blue comes by, it is natural for them. I built the pond to attract wildlife and it does that and more so now that it is established. I have tons of fish and he can't get them all by the design. Not to say I am never happy when he they take my favorites (which I think they know which ones). Hawks eat the birds, frogs eat the fish eggs etc. Nature is just doing its thing.

I'm with you.
I love all the variety a pond attracts from the local environment.
We don't have herons or gators here, but we do have others that benefit from the water.
I can't imagine life without a pond in the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@saugeye tom

they land on top of my gazebo and wait till i leave:rolleyes::D

Ask a Question