Pond is back up and running

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RobAmy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. RobAmy

RobAmy

Yesterday I put the main pump back on and got the stream running again. I did have a section of the Flexible PVC Pipe that was broken due to ice I assume. The break was about 6" long and boy did the water come out of there once I powered up the pump. I cut out the bad area and fixed it up with a couple of 2" fernco's. All is good now. I am surprised that type of tubing cracked.

A few of gold fish enjoying the warmer temps.

IMG_3135.JPG

RobAmy, Feb 22, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. RobAmy

Tula

Lucky you :)

Tula, Feb 22, 2018
    RobAmy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. RobAmy

mrsclem mrsclem

Its been a really cold winter. I had my 3" junction for my stock tank filter freeze and explode and my ball valve on the 2nd stock tank freeze and come apart.

mrsclem, Feb 22, 2018
  4. RobAmy

j.w I Love my Goldies

My pond is frozen on top today! You guys w/those warm temps better be happy now cuz you know this won't last, winter is not over :D

j.w, Feb 22, 2018
    RobAmy and sissy like this.
  5. RobAmy

sissy sissy

how true I am just waiting to see what horror we will end up with in March

sissy, Feb 23, 2018
    RobAmy and j.w like this.
  6. RobAmy

RobAmy

The calm before the storm :)

RobAmy, Feb 23, 2018
    sissy likes this.
  7. RobAmy

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

if you can, try and pitch your pipe so it drains back into the pond (as I did) or blow the hose line(s) out prior to winter. So far, haven't had any issues re flex pvc, but I think this is the reason. I'm sure there's water still inside portions but they're all at water level or below. Even the ones in the bog.

Just an idea.

brokensword, Feb 23, 2018
    RobAmy likes this.
  8. RobAmy

RobAmy

Agreed. The elevation is such all can't drain back into the pond. 90% does but from the stream to the skimmer the flex pipe rises toward the top of the skimmer. I think what I will do in the warmer weather is to put a T with a drain right at the breakage point for drain purposes to avoid more winter issues going forward.

RobAmy, Feb 23, 2018
  9. RobAmy

Faebinder

Here in PA, winter is over. We are in Spring, though potential for snow is there. I started my bog when the temperature hit 80 F the other day. It's 41 F today but all 50s and high 40s from now on it looks like.

Faebinder, Feb 23, 2018
    qclabrat and RobAmy like this.
  10. RobAmy

RobAmy

Lets hope it is over, March can be pretty iffy for sure.

RobAmy, Feb 23, 2018
    sissy likes this.
  11. RobAmy

Lisak1

Flex PVC cracked? That's kind of surprising... that is some tough stuff. Ours came with a lifetime warranty - I laughed when we bought it. I asked the guy if they would provide the labor to replace it if it ever cracked... uh, nope!

Lisak1, Feb 24, 2018
  12. RobAmy

RobAmy

It surprised me too, I understand that it could but that is some strong stuff. I believe it is going on its 5th year age wise underground. I cracked length wise on the pipe. There was definitely an ice blockage in that area. We had a super cold couple week stretch, maybe then was the issue. At least it was easy to spot, it blew out a section of the ground when I plugged the pump on. :mad:

RobAmy, Feb 24, 2018
  13. RobAmy

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I haven't checked my ponds pipes, hope they held!

Glad you got yours fixed.

addy1, Feb 24, 2018
    RobAmy likes this.
  14. RobAmy

Lisak1

Totally not a funny situation, but that part did make me LOL! The visual of the ground just exploding - haha!

Lisak1, Feb 24, 2018
    RobAmy likes this.
  15. RobAmy

According to two sources, flex pvc at 2" can handle 1300 psi and water when it freezes, can theoretically put out 30,000 psi. So, not so surprising when you get trapped water freezing.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/strength-of-pvc-pipe-with-strength-chart/
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ater.svg/700px-Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png

Michael

brokensword, Feb 24, 2018
  16. RobAmy

RobAmy

RobAmy, Feb 24, 2018
  17. RobAmy

Lisak1

Fear of water freezing in my plumbing is one reason we keep our pond running all winter. Our first year we shut the pump off, but due to a plumbing snafu (basically screwed two pieces together crooked) we couldn't drain the pipes. I worried all winter long. The second year we still hadn't fixed the crooked connection (I WAS BUSY, OK?! haha!) so we made the decision to just let it run - and had the COLDEST WINTER EVER. So I worried all winter long. Basically worrying about my pond appears to be my default! But it worked great and we've never shut down again.

And yes - we did eventually fix the bad connection issue. We had to saw it off and replace parts, but we got it done!

Lisak1, Feb 24, 2018
    RobAmy likes this.
  18. RobAmy

Lisa; that would be one of my worries as well, that the winter somehow does something to any pipe due to the cold and there's an issue. In the winter, I'm not inclined to check much so if anything happened, no doubt (unless the float switch activated like it's supposed to), I'd prob lose fish and plants. Working on anything in cold weather is a b*tch. I pray anyone running pumps and water through pipes don't ever have a winter issue!

Michael

brokensword, Feb 25, 2018
  19. RobAmy

yeppa, it is. I still wonder if I'll develop any issues with the water that remains at pond level IN the flex pvc, but so far, haven't seen any issues. I'm thinking that as the ice forms and expands, it has a 'way to go' meaning upward and downward, so maybe that's why it's working. I have three lines like this but all my above ground and slightly buried lines drain backwards toward the pump or bog.

brokensword, Feb 25, 2018
    RobAmy likes this.
  20. RobAmy

Lisak1

We did have the plumbing come unglued at the pump a couple years ago - that was exciting. We had to just shut everything down until it got a bit warmer as there was no way we could fix it in the frigid temps. The guy at the plumbing place told me he'd never seen PVC glue give out like that. I guess there's always a first time! Other than that I have had to drag a hose out and top off the pond on occasion in the cold, but I'm prepared for that with a warm hose!

Lisak1, Feb 25, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question