JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Relatively decent weather today (50°F), so I got the pond going! The ducks have been here the past few days so with them pooping in the pond, I wanted to start getting it filtered as soon as possible.

IMG_7534 copy.jpg

IMG_7542 copy.jpg

IMG_7547 copy.jpg

Shortly after I got it going, the frogs started popping up. Last I saw, there were three sitting out.
IMG_7533 copy.jpg

There's been some plant growth around the pond as well.

Blue Flag Iris
IMG_7519 copy.jpg

Common Blue Violet
IMG_7535 copy.jpg

Nodding Onion
IMG_7538 copy.jpg

Prairie Smoke
IMG_7543 copy.jpg

The Mallard ducks have been here the last few days. I don't think it's the pair that has nested here. (I'm aware of two pair that hang out in this area, the first to arrive is usually the pair that doesn't nest at my pond) With that being said, the area in the red circle was dug up quite a bit. I pushed some of the dirt back in but kept it a little lower. I don't know for sure that it's the ducks doing this, but it did start happening as soon as they returned, and happens to be duck-sized. Hopefully she won't destroy my plants too bad, particularly my Prairie Smoke, which I'm excited to see bloom. There are no plants where she dug, as I removed my purple coneflowers last year and plan to plant something else there this year. That may have to wait if this does turn out to be a nest.

IMG_7546 copy.jpg

The 2018 pond season has begun!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice, I have not seen any frogs yet. How cool if they nest there. I have no hope of them nesting with our dogs. Hopefully they will bring their ducklings by this year. That was a treat to have the little ones visit the pond everyday. Hopefully she does not hurt the plants to much. My ducks have weeded my pond growth already.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Awwww, the sweet sound of running water, such a hopeful time of year! I saw a pair of mallards in our subdivision this morning :)

It's nice to walk outside and hear the water flowing again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You look like you're right in the same spot I am - looking for any little speck of green! My irises are peeking out too, as is my marsh marigold, tulips, daffodils, and a few things that are still on the questionable list... did I plant you, or are you a freeloader? haha!

I see you watch Lynn and Rick on WisconsinGarden.com - they are an inspiration! I was happy to "see" them again yesterday. I would love to visit their gardens some day.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I see you watch Lynn and Rick on WisconsinGarden.com - they are an inspiration! I was happy to "see" them again yesterday. I would love to visit their gardens some day.

I've been subtly trying to get them to plant more natives for years! :LOL:
They say they want to restore their three-tier pond where they had to fill in the bottom for their grandchild many years ago. Would be cool to see them join the forum!

I meant to add - look at that crystal clear water!
Actually a little murky yesterday with me disturbing the pond, getting the hoses back in place, and removing some debris. I have more debris to remove, but I'll do that in a few weeks once the bog filtration really kicks in.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great photos and video! (y) I love this time of year, it's so nice seeing everyone's gardens coming back to life :love:

It's an exciting time - but it also makes me very impatient to see plants grow and bloom!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They say they want to restore their three-tier pond where they had to fill in the bottom for their grandchild many years ago. Would be cool to see them join the forum!

I send people to watch their video on cleaning out the pond from free range lilies and cattails as a cautionary tale - keep those suckers in pots! That was quite the ordeal for both of them!

I was always puzzled why they felt the lowest portion of the pond was a problem - I would be more concerned about the upper, deep part as kids are great climbers - if I were concerned at all. We raised our kids in a neighborhood with a number of natural ponds and found the best way to keep them safe was to teach them HOW to be around the water, rather than keeping them away. We have young grandkids and take the same approach with them and our backyard pond - explore away, but be aware of the things you can't do so you can be safe. We keep a close eye on them, but allow them to enjoy the pond and fish and other wildlife along with us.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I send people to watch their video on cleaning out the pond from free range lilies and cattails as a cautionary tale - keep those suckers in pots! That was quite the ordeal for both of them!

Yeah, that looked like a nightmare. I think they said it had been something like 20 years that they let everything grow? Heck, even three years - and in pots - isn't easy.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
UPDATE: As it turns out, this IS a nest, but it isn't a duck nest.

IMG_7546 copy.jpg

The small dug out started appearing the same day the ducks returned. It was also generally duck-sized. I knew this had to be something, but I wasn't sure if it was the ducks that were doing it. It seemed too deep for a duck nest, but perhaps this pair of ducks just did things differently? It wouldn't surprise me if some females had slightly deeper nests than average.

Nope.

Today, I went outside and noticed everything was filled back in, mostly with dirt, but the deepest spot was filled in with fur. I carefully pulled back the fur, because I'm curious.
IMG_7552 copy.jpg

They look like baby squirrels, but I didn't know they ever nested in the ground. Because of that, it seems that this may be a rabbit nest, or maybe squirrel? I've never seen baby rabbits or squirrels, so I wouldn't know the difference. Add that to the list of things that have either been born or hatched around my pond!

Last edited:

Ask a Question