150gal Stock tank

Reaction score
I just picked up a 150gal stock tank and it has a couple huge cracks on the bottom of the tank. I tried welding the crack back together but i still have a few leaks. just wondering what my options are, either i put a liner in it of keep trying to weld it or some sort of sealant. The tank will b the filter for my new pond build.

Reaction score
Depending on elevations, maybe liner under the tank so it drains back into the pond or another filter?

Were you able to weld with a filler stick?

Reaction score
yes i did weld with a filler stick and on the out side i also used a mesh screen for reinforcement.the tank will probably be ground level and pond 3-4 feet deep.

Reaction score
Sounds like liner under the tank would work as a hack? Everything else, epoxy, etc., may not stick, and now with the welds I'd guess would be hard to patch the actual leaks. Goop might work short term, but I wouldn't trust it long term.

If you do go with a liner inside you might consider a thin liner rather than 45 mil EPDM. The folds wouldn't be as bad, and if the filter is covered it would have UV protection.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that spray on rubber stuff works ,I got it at lowes and I bought the stock tank at auction a 300 gallon one and it worked great even after draining and moving it it has not leaked yet .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the can is only 14 dollars and a liner is very hard to form around the tank and make it look good and on here someone posted that under water sealer and I got some at local pet store and it does work good really good .I wish i could remember the name of the stuff darn it and of course i left it out in the guest house . .I had a preformed pond I took out for a realtor and a neighbor wanted it to start a pond but it had a crack and that stuff seems to be working i just set it on the ground and filled with some water and it is not leaking yet and we have also had a lot of rain .A liner made of pvc to fit the 300 gallon tank I have would have been 119 dollars .What happens also if water gets between the liner and tank .I sprayed the rubber stuff on the inside and the outside of the crack and did use 2 cans because i like the black coating inside and then saw that the cans had a 5 dollar rebate on them

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Sissy, you must be talking about the Gold Label pond sealant. I tried that sealant on my skimmer box and was really impressed on how well it works.

Stock tank...Are talking about a metal stock tank?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have the rubbermade stock tanks you can get at tractor supply .I have 3 I got at an estate auction

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
this is my 150 gallon one and the reason I wanted it here is because it has a heater in it .Thank you could not remember the name of it for the life of me .senior moment lol

Attachments

• 2012 house 002.JPG
    2012 house 002.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 385
  • 2012 house 006.JPG
    2012 house 006.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 438
  • 2012 house 007.JPG
    2012 house 007.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 462

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I knew I heard about it here and called pet world and they had it .Pet smart and petco never heard of it here .

Ask a Question