1st Pond, 2nd Attepmt

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We have a negative edge skimmer - pretty similar set up to yours actually. My patented clean out method - power washer sprayed down through the gravel. Takes 30-45 seconds and it's clear for another season. Our water pools a bit more over our gravel, so we are able to use a net to skim larger debris.

What is the depth of your skimmer basin. If I remember correctly
myswtsins' basin is over 3 feet deep. Power washing a basin that deep will only drive the debris deeper into the gravel matrix effectively exacerbating the clogging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ours is filled with matrix blocks at the bottom- the gravel is about 2 feet deep. Maybe 2.5. The basin is 6 feet deep - holds 2000 gallons of water. The sediment is so fine that it really can't hold up to even a good blast from a garden hose. Power washer is just faster. And more fun.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ours is filled with matrix blocks at the bottom- the gravel is about 2 feet deep. Maybe 2.5. The basin is 6 feet deep - holds 2000 gallons of water. The sediment is so fine that it really can't hold up to even a good blast from a garden hose. Power washer is just faster. And more fun.

You must have a low external organic load.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thank you for your comments everyone. I would have loved to use bio matrix boxes but the price was just out is the budget at this time. I figure once the current setup gets hopelessly clogged I will be able to afford the upgrade. But I am formulating a plan for more effective cleaning. I will update when it is more solid.

I spent a good bit of time cleaning up the pond today, a ridiculous amt of algae! Really surprising how much grew under the ice when there was minimal algae last yr and it was quite clean before the freeze.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe at the bottom of those skimmers a dirty water pump with a hose coming out of it and you could just plug it in and clean the bottom out .I use this idea on my stock tank filter .I found a small dirty water pump and ran a hose out and just plug it in to clean the bottom of the filter as I add water to the top .It has worked great for me and easy to do .My pump came from harbor freight and I have been using it for 4 years now.Even after I rebuilt I went back to it .What works I don't fix

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Working on a DIY skimmer basket but in the mean time....

Plants are coming up nicely
IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Added new plants to bog as almost all of them died, thinking they dried out when we had to turn the pumps off in winter.
IMG_1116.jpg

Added another plant pocket in the stream
IMG_1121.jpg

So many snails in the stream
IMG_1122.jpg

Random shots
IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Hard to get fish pictures, always a glare
IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Here is a link to a short video of some of the fish while the pumps were off.
http://vid70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/myswtsins/3k Goldfish Pond/MVI_1114.mp4

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thank you ladies.

Here is the skimmer box we came up with, all DIY. Want to make a fine mesh net also for this time of year. This allows me to keep all the benefits of my big water pit but still easily removed the debris.
IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

1st attempt for the skimmer cover rock, turned out too heavy tho and too white, working on another one now. The big rock in the back with the wood on it is a DIY rock covering the pump vault.
IMG_1186.jpg

Added an easy water depth checker now that the main pump vault is covered.The turtle statue sits on top of this and of course the stick is usually in the hole.
IMG_1139.jpg

Added 3 more plant pockets...just can't seem to stop adding plants! hehe And yes, they have plants in them now.
IMG_1135.jpg

Sat out one night and visited with the frogs and toads. There was a green frog but didn't get a good pic of him. We have many frogs besides these guys.
This guy was by far the noisiest! Toad
IMG_1159.jpg

Bullfrog about 6" head to butt. He was hunting the toad here, toad is just off to the right of view.
IMG_1165.jpg

Found the bullfrog in the skimmer box the next morning and relocated him far from my pond.
IMG_1191.jpg

Back when the water was still clear, bad glare tho.
IMG_1177.jpg

Now the water is a horrible pea soup. This is not green rocks, it is green water.
IMG_1227.jpg

Lillies....in green water. Can't see 6" down now.
Mayla and Peaches and cream
IMG_1222.jpg

"yellow" got it from my neighbor
IMG_1220.jpg

Aflame
IMG_1221.jpg

One of our daylillies too
IMG_1209.jpg

Phlox! They grew SO much and this is their 1st spring.
IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

Forget me not bloomed a lot! This was about a week ago and it is still blooming.
IMG_1200.jpg

Love that cinnamon fern! Flox on their way out now tho.
IMG_1225.jpg

Looking for an id on this plant...
IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Hoping this green water goes away soon! Have a cantilever umbrella covering about 40% of the pond plus the lily coverage but the poor stream is wide open. This pond gets about 8 hours of full sun. Haven't feed the fish for a few days, honestly haven't seen much of them since the water got really bad. I have TONS of plants but all are babies of course cuz the pond is new and none of them provide shade to the pond. No debris to be removed, have scooped the bottomed with no results and when I could see it there was nothing on the bottom. The stream was rinsed well at start up and I even flushed the bottom of my bog out. Test results are good, less than 5 nitrates, no ammonia, nitrites or phosphorous, 6 KH, 3 GH, 8.2pH ( ph is always high, on a well, have many aquariums so I am familiar with this). Been very little rain tho and usually does a water change for me thru the overflow. Think I will do a manual water change soon. With the added shade and plants on the rise I am hoping it will clear up soon. I made a makeshift "fines" filter too that I will added in a day or two to remove the dead algae..that is if things start clearing up.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had the same thing, the pea soup algae bloom this spring. I put in a upflow pot with some quilt batting as a fine filter and it is clearing up nicely. The pond is looking wonderful and I love the Phlox.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice skimmer box and your fake rock near the wood sure does not look fake! Great job! Great pictures too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
May as well update this before next spring! ;)

Just cause I like the picture!
IMG_1244.jpg

Yellow lilies did the best for sure. They were raise off the floor, maybe that helped?
IMG_1250.jpg

Mid June
IMG_1253.jpg

Water is just about cleared up
IMG_1263.jpg

Group shot
IMG_1269.jpg

Bog mid june. The big bushy plant is peppermint and it went nuts! Trimmed it back twice.
IMG_1277.jpg

Male? Bullfrog
IMG_1281.jpg

Female? They were within feet of each other
IMG_1284.jpg

A different view
IMG_1311.jpg

He really liked those lily flowers
IMG_1353.jpg

We got an abundant variety of wild life
IMG_1373.jpg

Hummingbird moth
IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Some day lilies
IMG_1382.jpg

It's got legs and a tail!! I think it might be a toad cause we got 100s of baby toads around the pond shortly after this.
IMG_1393.jpg

Here's two of them!
IMG_1397.jpg

Nasty algae falls but the cinnamon fern looks great!
IMG_1407.jpg

Algae started to take over and plants were suffering so I didn't take many photos after this.

Kids enjoying the pond, carefully.
IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

To be continued

Ask a Question