2 pleco + 2 koi + 2 goldfish = 2 dead kois? What to do next?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, Dave, I know that there are tons of squirrels in the wild here, but for the most part, they seem to be in neighborhoods as well. That's what I meant about feeding them. People feed their birds tons of food, and then buy fancy feeders that the squirrels are not supposed to be able to get into. Well, if they would just go ahead and feed the squirrels, they would leave the bird feeders alone. LOL That's what I meant about feed them and they will co-exist! I know what you mean about some animals are wasteful and can cause destruction in woods. I've never heard of squirrels killing off trees, though, so I think the oaks, hickory and walnuts in my area are very tolerant to the squirrels, no way they could kill one of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The greys tend to strip the bark of trees thus what we call wringing the tree with some trees when this happens the die

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sounds like you have very different grey squirrels than we have here in the US, or at least in my area of the US, Midwest. My horses will chew on the bark of trees, killing them, so I have to wrap all trees in their pasture that I don't want them to kill. Right now, though, no trees there I wouldn't mind them killing. LOL Only a few scrap willows next to the pond, which will come out when the farm pond is renovated someday, but they have not touched them. Go figure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dr Johnson's videos are aimed at new Koi keepers. Dave, whether you judge these videos to be a good source of info or not is your decision. If other people get useful info from these videos that's their business. I can understand commenting on specific bits of info in the videos, I don't agree with every single nugget. But I can't say I see the point of just completely discounting all of Dr Johnson's videos. Comes across as rather small minded. In the big scheme of things I'm more inclined to give more credence to a person trained in Koi care, who does this for a living, has taken the time to make and post videos on the subject and therefore allowing for review, than I do to any "hey, I just signed up in a pond forum...listen to me...I'm an expert, trust me" dude. Now I might be completely wrong. I've come to this conclusion based on reading many forums, on many subjects, over many years. Just kind of seems to me that the untrained, inexperienced people who think they know a lot really turns out to not know much of anything.

Hey dont go knocking me Waterbug I've just come on this site true but I do have the years behind me , all I said was that Doc Johnsons videos are all well and good but novices need to read books to get half an idea what he was talking about .
Go over to koi keeperunleashed and take a look at what weve been running for two years now check out our inclusion to the koi magazines koi hall of fame , the koi/fish/koihealth library that the AKCA's former Health Forum head spike Cover asked us to reveiw basically though my friend I'm not knocking you so why not quit knocking me my friend.
I orignally only came on this site to ask the good Dr Novak to come back to us but I quite liked the mix of people on here including yourself

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
keep koi.jpggoldfish.jpg

Both Books written by the good Doctor Waterbug , why bcause he wants people to have a really good grounding in the hobby by reading about it.
This way the lessons learned have a chance of staying with the novice fishkeeper throughout their hopefully long and enjoyable time in the hobby.
I have a friend here in Plymouth who lectures to the Marine Biology students at the Plymouth University.
Unlike Dr Johnson who has studied long and hard to become a vet, Martin ({his name is Martin Simpson).
Martin has a natural bent to the hobby yet no qualifications but he can tell you everything there is to know both in Tropical and Marine world.
He has a better seahorse breeding program than the national Marine Aquarium here in Plymouth, "in his own kitchen" breeds corrals and runs an exclusive Marine shop selling Marine fish to those that know their stuff, he can even give you the latin name of any fish at a glance
His Business goes by the name of Plymouth Marines he will not sell to novices to the hobby and has basically read everything there is to know on his chosen subject .
I first came across him aged 15 years old at a fish show that was for Marine,Tropical and Coldwater he left most people standing even then.
The amount of Trophies won by him over the years, could if he wished set him up as a trophy shop.
What he didn't know he was most keen to learn, it just goes to show what by reading you can learn .
You speak highly of the good Doctor as do I yet slate Dr Novak who has a doctorate in Ichtheology when he is putting a simple yet effective method of filtration across I truely dont understand where your coming from at least we let him speak.
rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question