2 simple questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building a low volume endless stream that will use a sump:

1) For the headwater, what should I use to discharge the water more or less evenly across the width of the stream? The stream will appear to emerge from the ground. Should I create a PVC header and drill holes that are aimed downstream?

2) I bought a variable speed control for the pump, but I'm skeptical it will be sufficiently sensitive. Can I solve the same problem mechanically with a diverter that would send some of the outflow back into the sump? And, if so, should I discharge above the water level, so the pump won't push against resistance?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sure about your exact situation, but I use an over-sized pump in my small pond. I use a diverter valve to send about of half of the output to the filter, and then send half back out into the pond to create a bit of circulation. I adjust the valve so that the filter does not overflow - just ease the control knob until it's just right...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1606414818754.gif
@GaryInSeattle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would make a small pond pump the water at the bottom and let mother nature balance by gravity and feed your stream. Any other way you'll always see or can clog .

Reaction score
Question 1 is yes. Question 2 don't try to slow the pump down use a gate valve and pump the excess water back into the sump. Do it below the water level otherwise, you'll have all sorts of splashing and noise. The best option would be to get a smaller pump so that it would only pump the amount needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can also purchase a pre-made spillway. You can install it just about anyway you want to create the look you're going for. But if you prefer DIY, then go for it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can make a spillway with pvc pipe or abs pipe and drill holes in it .i did that on both of my pumps .A sump pump may not last and uses a lot of electricity

Ask a Question