20 foot power cord...

Reaction score
Hi

First off, great website. Already got some great tips on building my new pond less waterfall.

I'm trying to hook up my power supply to my submersible pump. I have a GFI outdoor outlet 20 ft away. I know that outlets should be at least 5 feet from the pond, but is 20 feet too far?

I'd love to avoid calling the electrician, getting a permit and installing an entirely new outlet. Can I just run the power cord in 1 1/2 inch conduit 18 inches below ground to the outlet?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say yes, my honey is an electrician, we ran power cords (100 feet long) to power the pump, aerator etc for over a year, above ground................

A power cord put in conduit below ground, you should be fine. Make sure it is a outdoor rated power cord, good insulation.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
You could even direct burial the cord if its rated for Outdoor wet condition use. I have my power to my pond direct burial in UF outdoor romex wire. I have 12-3 running down there with 2 circuits.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We finally ran 12/3 romex wire to the pond, but did run it through pvc we had buried just for the pond wires. We have a lot of chewing critters that like to taste test.

Reaction score
20' feet is fine I have a 50' extension cord to my big pond that I have used for 2 years with no problem. I also run a big ac two fans a radio and a surveillance camera with 2 100' heavy duty extension cords connected to each other for over 5 years without any problem.

Reaction score
My goldfish pond is run using a 25' cord, has been that way since I set it up last summer, never had an issue.

And the new koi pond is done this way as well just so I can hide the cords better and have easier access to unplug things during maintenance. I put in these garden stake things with 3 outlets on the end of a 10' cord. I have 2 of these, one for each end of the pond. Both have an aerator and 2000gph pump plugged into them. I don't anticipate any problems.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That is a relief. So, it seems that above ground is ok. I will be disconnecting in winter anyway.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. That is a relief. So, it seems that above ground is ok. I will be disconnecting in winter anyway.

Just know where it is lol, I almost chopped ours, it had gotten covered with some mulch.

Ask a Question