$.29 goldfish

Reaction score
Tutlemommy....my road is off White Springs. I go down Ellerbee road a lot. And , yes, the main dwelling will be earth bag, cord wood and colored bottles. As I tell the family, the Spirt Hut is my " $.29 goldfish test" for earthbag building.
With the cold weather of late the koi have went into hypernation. The smaller two buried themself in the bottom after the first cold day. But yesterday the big boy dug in, too.
I do plan on checking the local pet stores routinely in hopes of catching a few butterfly koi. But finding that albino catfish will take more then just stopping at pet stores.
Thanks for all the welcomes.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Most fish stores selling feeders skim dead fish off their feeder tanks at least once a day because the fish are sick. The high density shipping messes up their immune systems and if any fish is sick they all contract it.

If the 29 cent fish were not in the feeder tank there is a chance they started there.

My suggestion is to ask another ponder for a few fish to start the pond. Anyone with breeding goldfish should be happy to help.

Reaction score
Hello HTH,,,
The Petsmart near me have once or twice had a tank go into ' being watched' mode. The clerk told me when I asked, that if the fish start acting sickly or they start finding fish dying, they put a ban on the whole tank. Everytime I go into another pet store close by, I am always finding a dead or sickly fish. But I never have bought any at that store.
I am finished with goldfish. Will be needing to re-home about a dozen goldfish soon. Only have one fan-tail...the rest are just big old plain goldfish. But any new koi will be in a inside tank for a while before thrown into the outside pond....just for safety.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so must be similar to earthships they build except they use tires and packed earth and are off grid living t it's best .Friend from ford plant is still building his earth ship I guess .I have tried to contact him several times but not sure cell phone of his picks up signal .Last time i heard from him was a year ago and he was supposed to send me pics .He has no mailing address and guess a lot of them don't .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello HTH,,,
The Petsmart near me have once or twice had a tank go into ' being watched' mode. The clerk told me when I asked, that if the fish start acting sickly or they start finding fish dying, they put a ban on the whole tank. Everytime I go into another pet store close by, I am always finding a dead or sickly fish. But I never have bought any at that store.
I am finished with goldfish. Will be needing to re-home about a dozen goldfish soon. Only have one fan-tail...the rest are just big old plain goldfish. But any new koi will be in a inside tank for a while before thrown into the outside pond....just for safety.

I've had good luck with PS. And if the store "close by" is PC (across 70th), I agree. Last time I was there looking, I was really turned off by the condition of their tanks and fish. All the tanks seemed over crowded. Wish I knew more places to look in town .... Oh, wait, there is a place south, off Mansfield Rd. Will have to look up the name. They had koi, and they had butterfly koi. I remember, 'cause I like butterflies and spent some time looking & dreaming (but will stick to goldies, sigh).

I might be interested in taking a few of your fish. I don't have a QT set up yet, but plan to do that in the spring. FISHIN4CARS is pointing me in the direction of sellers of Wakin & Watonai (goldfish) in the southern part of the state, and I want to start out doing right by them (more costly than what I'm used to).

Reaction score
I might be interested in taking a few of your fish. I don't have a QT set up yet, but plan to do that in the spring. FISHIN4CARS is pointing me in the direction of sellers of Wakin & Watonai (goldfish) in the southern part of the state, and I want to start out doing right by them (more costly than what I'm used to).

I wish the heck you were closer! Looking for someone who wants to split a case. Planning to order some from Blackwater Creek in the spring (we get a discount).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now I want to advance to butterfly koi....with maybe a albino catfish. These will still be 'test' as the plans are to build a larger pond when we move on land recently bought.

Glenna, try these people. They are just a tad south of the WallyWorld & Tractor Supply on Mansfield Rd. They have an indoor area with koi & had butterfly koi when I was there last summer. In the back area they have lots of aquatic plants.

Ark-La-Tex Water Gardens
9999 MANSFIELD RD
318-683-0422

Reaction score
Covering a few notes at once. I went and spent a night in the Earthships in New Mexico and loved them. Mine had a fish pond IN the house, as well as big plants...talking 20 foot trees, and a few parrots. But at my age I don't think I could pound the dirt into a few thousand tires. Strawbales do not work here due to our high humitity. I can pack the earthbags and have already learned how to do cob for plastering them..
There are two places south of town that I know of in the pet shopping. One place is on Jewella, across from what use to be the South Park Mall....but I have never fish shopped there. The other place is out Mansfield road is just about to Keithville. I LOVE their big indoor pond. I'm having some surgery today, but plan on heading back out there as soon as I'm able to drive. I try to stay away from that place and Lowe's due to the awful urge to buy buy buy when I walk in the door. I will be more then happy to unload my goldfish whenever anyone has the place for them.

Reaction score
CW, what are you looking for?

I want to personally end up with 8 wakin (and 8 black opals) for myself... My biggest issue is I need to order koi for hubby's clients (larger than my babies), so my holding area will be limited. I do have a minimum order requirement, which the koi will easily make, so trying to figure out a way to get what I want at the same time, I can order a half case of the wakin, but it is still double what I want. Hubby is going to put another holding pond outside in the spring so that clients can just pop over at any time and see what he has available, but that wont be up and running until May or June.

Ask a Question