3 year old large pond, fish gulping for air...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks more like a plow. The only thing I can think of is a micron filter / sieve but your again talking lots of cleaning as that is probably a 300 micron that's needed and there's so much in a pond bigger than 300 micros .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks more like a plow. The only thing I can think of is a micron filter / sieve but your again talking lots of cleaning as that is probably a 300 micron that's needed and there's so much in a pond bigger than 300 micros .
I would think there would be a lake skimmer you could either buy or make, maybe? One that would be able to stay in the pond and keep working on keeping it skimmed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will definitely look into a floating skimmer. So long as I keep the trash pump shooting water across the surface, the green "dust" like material stays to a minimum. The fish are rarely seen at the surface now, and no more have died since last Wed.

Earlier someone had asked about runoff or rain. The pond is fed from rain and 100% of the runoff from my roof via the downspouts.

However, we haven't had any measurable rain in well over a month. Everything is bone dry. In fact, the fire risk is extreme (and only affirms my decision to put the pond in, in the first place). The pond is actually down by more than a foot. The remaining water is getting warmer as the mass decreases. We live along miles of gravel roads, so the dust is also extreme right now.

My closest neighbor is nearly a mile away, and there are no lawns or gardens to speak of - so no fertilizing or other chemical treatments in the vicinity.

The lilly transplants are from another pond in the community. I don't know if they're considered invasive or not - but that pond is half covered with them. I suspect that if they take, they'll probably do the same in my pond. That may require maintenance (or more ducks!), but if the water is healthier and clearer, it's an effort I'm willing to undertake.

As far as the other plants that the wife ordered, they're some kind of water lettuce that floats. I'll have to get with her on what it is, and check with the state's extension service.

Ask a Question